Biere de Printemps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BaldApe

Reaction score
Hi all,

I want to brew something a bit different, and my tastes run to malty, not so bitter session beers. I've seen references to a Biere de Printemps (spring beer) brewed in France. It is described as similar to a Märzen, which I like, but not quite as strong, less bitter, and darker. Right up my alley!

Here's the recipe I've come up with. If you have experience with this style, or just have opinions on whether this will do what I want, please let me know.

Cheers

For 11 gallons:
18 lb Dingeman's Munich II
1 lb Dingeman's Aromatic
0.5 lb Dingeman's Special B
0.25 lb Wyereman's Carafa I
1 oz Aramis hops, 8.1% AA 60 minute boil
1 oz Strisselspalt, 4% AA 10 min boil
Wyeast 3711- French Saison yeast

Single infusion mash 150 F
Batch sparge
90 minute boil

Update: the Saisson yeast was a poor choice for what I wanted to do, but the beer tastes very nice. Decided to cold crash before the yeast dried it out too much, so we'll see how that works out.

I think it will be good, if not what I intended.

I just think it's going to dry out out too much. The style is supposed to be sweet.
I think it will be very tasty, though. I'll be kegging it in about a week, so I'll update then.

Well the attempt at Bieres de Printemps had mixed results. It was very well received at my homebrew club meeting, but no one knew the style (no surprise). I feel like it came out more like a Biere de Mars, but maltier.
When I brew it again I'll cut the Munich malt in half and replace it with a Belgian or French Pilsner malt.
Although the beer dried out pretty well, the Munich gave it a sweet impression with a fairly dry finish.
Now that it's done, I'm happy with the French Saison yeast.

Latest posts

Back