BIAB - Weizenbock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbrew_jr

Reaction score
Maybe this should be in the recipes thread but I am looking for advice on the BIAB mashing as well.

Fairly new to BIAB and I have never made a Wiezenbock.

I usually rely on adding extract for most of my recipes due to the fact I only have one 5 gallon pot and I am brewing on a stove. It becomes complicated to heat the water and fit larger grain bills with the equipment limitations.

I am interested in brewing a wiezenbock. I searched the thread came up with some extract and AG recipes but the consensus seems that Jamil's Wiezenbock is solid.

http://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/jamils-weizenbock-1

My initial plan was to take that recipe and do this:
5 lbs Briess Bavarian LME (65% wheat 35% barley)
1 lb Rahr American 2 row
1.5 lbs Weyerman Light Munich Malt
3 lbs Weyerman White Wheat Malt
0.25 lbs Castle Special B malt
0.25 lbs Weyerman Chocolate Wheat Malt

2oz Hallertau
Wyeast 3068

I was going to heat 3 gallons to about 158 ish. Mash for 60 minutes. I do not have the pot capacity to sparge but i typically try to pour about a gallon of 170 degree water as i hold the grains out of the wert as a ghetto sparging method.

I then add my extract and brew as usual.

I think the 2qt/lb mash ratio should be fine I can back it off a little if I need some more volume in my pot for LME. I am looking for comments on the overall recipe adjustments and mashing process. I have the option of choosing between Light, or White Wheat malt. I will stick with my change from chocolate to chocolate wheat. I can also sub out the 1lb 2 row for pilsen base malt, and or add some pilsen to the bill. I really wanna hit at least 6% and my calcs put me around 6.1% as of now. Maybe throw in another 1/2 lb of...?

My first two partial mash BIAB's came out with varying results where the next two batches are currently in the bottle. I have little perspective on what my process is yielding. Please help in any way you can. Thanks

Back