BIAB - type of grain bag?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diehl33

Reaction score
Should I be using nylon or meslun grain bags for a BIAB? I tried nylon the last time, for a partial mash recipe, and my OG was woefully low. Thanks for any suggestions =)

I have been using the 5 gallon paint stainer bags from Home Depot and hitting 82%. I do have my grains crushed a bit more than when I do non-BIAB all grain batches and I also do a 90 minute mash. I am not sure if that helps my efficiency but seems to be working for me.

Oh, and the paint strainer bags are very easily cleaned. Dump the grains, turn inside out, rinse with hose, then shake it out when dry, reuse.

Your best option is Swiss Voile (polyester) it's easily purchased at a fabric shop, then you can sew a bag that fits your pot and lifting strategy perfectly.

Go to WallyWorld and get a shear curtain to make the bag. Make sure to get a good crush on the grains and do a 90 minute mash.

Should I be using nylon or meslun grain bags for a BIAB? I tried nylon the last time, for a partial mash recipe, and my OG was woefully low. Thanks for any suggestions =)

The preferred material is polyester voile. Polyester thread works very well. If using a machine, spend a few extra minutes and run it through the machine a few times for extra strength.

Back