BIAB: Season an Aluminum Strainer Basket?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tomcat0304

Reaction score
I found an aluminum straining/fry basket that I will use just for holding the grain bag as it drains/is squeezed with a pot lid. I read that aluminum cookware should be seasoned with cooking oil on the stovetop/in the oven before use.

Should I season it this way, or should I treat it as an aluminum kettle and boil it before use?

I wouldn't think it makes that much of a difference, but I just want to be safe.

Cheers and many thanks,

Jarod

NO on the oil, just boil it a bit to oxidize the aluminum.

Just be sure the basket is large enough to fill the kettle well. If the basket is small, try and move the wort through the grain by lowering and raising the basket a few times after the mash. FWIW, I don't like using baskets, but prefer to have a full size bag lining the kettle, so the grain and water mix and sparge well. An undersized basket might leave too much of the brewing water outside the bag and not yield a good rinsing of the grains...jmo...cheers!

Thanks Wilserbrewer,

I boiled it last night and wanted to make sure it looked okay. Before boiling, I scrubbed it down with water, dish soap, then Bar Keepers Friend. I was expecting a more even coat, does this look acceptable? I only plan to use it to hold the bag as it drains, not throughout the mash as I have not had good success with colanders...

Thanks again,

Jarod

Basket 1.jpg

Basket 2.jpg

It's fine, I really doubt it would make a noticeable difference if you never even bothered.

This is one if those things that's "best practice", then again I've never heard of a bad batch from "new" aluminum.

RDWHAHB and cheers!

Back