BIAB mash in without stirring???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Douglefish

Reaction score
Does anyone mash in without stirring? I'm thinking about adding my full volume water at temp to my grain. This would make automation pretty of mash in pretty easy.

Does anyone mash in without stirring? I'm thinking about adding my full volume water at temp to my grain. This would make automation pretty of mash in pretty easy.

If that's what you want to do then it's probably best to underlet, i.e. fill your kettle from the bottom through the drain valve.

If that's what you want to do then it's probably best to underlet, i.e. fill your kettle from the bottom through the drain valve.
^ This ^

For some reason, underletting does not seem to cause dough balls if done at a slow enough rate. Dumping water on the grain will almost certainly give you dough balls.

Brew on :mug:

Besides avoidance of doughballs, we stir to homogenize the mash and stabilize temperature throughout. It is a very simple practice and not worth skipping.

Besides avoidance of doughballs, we stir to homogenize the mash and stabilize temperature throughout. It is a very simple practice and not worth skipping.
At the time of dough in, there is really nothing to homogenize, unlike prior to draining. Temp uniformity could be a significant issue. Has anyone who underlets, or lowers the bag into the water, without stirring done any temperature profiling in their mash?

Brew on :mug:

I have been wondering the same thing. I used to underlet before I started BIABing. Only way I could do it would be putting the grains in the bag dry and slowly lowering into strike water. Anyone done it that way?

I slowly pour grain in water on 71'C and stir so that they do not produce balls.

Latest posts

Back