BIAB Grain Absorption value for millet malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why is this important? You can do a small test mash to reveal those numbers for your grain (mix). Then you actually know what it does.

Why is this important? You can do a small test mash to reveal those numbers for your grain (mix). Then you actually know what it does.

Its probably not very important in the scheme of things, I am just trying to be thorough I guess.

I saw that Osedax here noticed that the millet absorption in his house IPA batch was slightly higher but he didn't remember the actual number.

As for a test batch, that's a good idea! I even have a small 1 gal igloo cooler I could use (which is cool because its basically a 1/10th scale model of what I will do in the 10 gal igloo.

I can then at least calculate how much wort I get back after a mash of a given amount of grain and H2O. The calculator above is rate of lbs/gal so 1 lb of grain and 1 gal of water so I'll probably just use .5 and .5 and see what I get back. I think I can spare a 1/2 lb of millet malt for a test. :)

That small cooler is good for test mashing, or use a large enough pot in a 150°F preheated oven. Then vorlauf and lauter through a colander or large sieve. Then dump it back into the pot or the cooler, stir with sparge water and repeat the vorlauf and lauter in the strainer. Repeat for a 2nd sparge. Save the runnings separately and measure their gravity to get an idea how it all extracts.

1.25-1.5 quarts per pound of grist (barley/wheat/rye mix) is a normal standard. 2 quarts per pound gets quite thin. But a gallon per pound is way too thin, it will not mash right. I use Brew365's or Brewers Friend's mash calculator.

Keep accurate track of added liquid volumes so you know how much gets absorbed in the grist. A bit of a squeeze may be in order.

You can save and add the test runnings to your boil kettle later. There's no waste.

Do you have real malted millet? Any indication of its diastatic power? I'd test for complete conversion with an iodine test. Are you using a 100% millet grist or some mix?

That small cooler is good for test mashing, or use a large enough pot in a 150°F preheated oven. Then vorlauf and lauter through a colander or large sieve. Then dump it back into the pot or the cooler, stir with sparge water and repeat the vorlauf and lauter in the strainer. Repeat for a 2nd sparge. Save the runnings separately and measure their gravity to get an idea how it all extracts.

1.25-1.5 quarts per pound of grist (barley/wheat/rye mix) is a normal standard. 2 quarts per pound gets quite thin. But a gallon per pound is way too thin, it will not mash right. I use Brew365's or Brewers Friend's mash calculator.

Keep accurate track of added liquid volumes so you know how much gets absorbed in the grist. A bit of a squeeze may be in order.

You can save and add the test runnings to your boil kettle later. There's no waste.

Do you have real malted millet? Any indication of its diastatic power? I'd test for complete conversion with an iodine test. Are you using a 100% millet grist or some mix?

Thanks! I will try and record as much details as I can as I go.

Yes, I do have malted millet from Grouse: http://www.grouseco.com/products/

The majority of the recipe is Pale with some Vienna and Crystal added I believe.

I'm not totally sure of the Lintner number for these malts but I do plan to use enzymes for the mash. The reason for this is more a matter of convenience: I am trying to do a simpler single infusion mash rather than a standard time-consuming step mash that others have been developing. I know me, and I will bungle something complicated so I'm OK with using an alpha-amylase "crutch".

More information on the procedure I'm going to try here (I'd planned on using the 1.25 q/g ratio):

http://www.glutenfreehomebrewing.org/all_grain_brewing_tutorial.php

Scroll to the bottom and you'll see this:

Sample All-Grain Single Infusion Mash Using A 10 Gallon Mash Tun

To reach full potential of any style beer it is recommended to use 16-18 lbs of grains and a 10 gallon mash tun. Here is an example of an all-grain single infusion mash using a 10 gallon mash tun:

16 lbs blend of gluten free grains, milled, blended with 3.25 lbs (20%) rice hulls 4.8 gallons (19.3 quarts) strike water at 183.1F (water-to-grain ratio of 1 quart per pound); or 6 gallons (24 quarts) strike water at 179.1F (water-to-grain ratio of 1.25 quarts per pound)
Add strike water to 10 gallon mash tun and stir in the 19.25 lbs of milled gluten free grains, rice hulls and enzymes
Allow mashing to occur for 90-120 minutes (longer if using malted rice), collect wort and sparge grains.
Now you are ready to start your boil and brew some great beer!

I'm waiting for my grain mill to arrive, then off I go.

Thanks again for your input!

p.s. small world: I lived in Millersville, MD back in the 70's.

Back