Biab el cheapo hoist

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Partagas

Reaction score
Nothing fancy, built out of wood for cost containment. Base is supported by 4 pieces of 4x4 i had laying around. It adds to the weight which is a good thing since the base needs to have a counter balance. The bracket makes for a really sturdy support which should not have any problems handling my 5 gallon batches. The L shape hoist comes off the base and everything is put away in the shed until the next brew day. A few hours of work and about $30 bucks in materials. The pulley is the double pulley Mr Wilser offers which i already had purchased several months ago.

IMG_7634.JPG
IMG_7646.JPG
IMG_7635.JPG
IMG_7645.JPG

Nice. I wonder what your neighbours think: "He must be very depressed: look what he's building now." :)

Funny you said that. They did ask “what the hell is that?” with a worried look in their face. [emoji15][emoji28]

does that long 2x2 bend under the weight of a full wet bag? I might have gone with a 2x4 upright.

also, maybe add a boat/dock type cleat to tie the rope off to? lowes and HD sells them for a couple bucks

does that long 2x2 bend under the weight of a full wet bag? I might have gone with a 2x4 upright.

also, maybe add a boat/dock type cleat to tie the rope off to? lowes and HD sells them for a couple bucks

After brewing with 18 lbs of dry grain (wet grain must have been way heavier!) that 2x2 did not flex at all when lifting the bag. I needed to keep this thing small enough so i can stash it away in my utility shed. I did attach the cleat tie later but the hoist auto locks anyways so its not really needed.
Thanks!

Back