BIAB concentrated boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm a newbie so I've been brewing extracts to get the hang of it. After some really good answers in my AG vs Extract thread. I've been doing 3 gallon concentrated boils. When using the BIAB method will this also be a concentrated boil?

I'm not familiar with what a concentrated boil is. We mash all grains in the total preboil water volume. Once mash is done, remove grains and boil.
Double crush your grains.

I have yet to be convinced that there's anything inherently wrong with doing partial-volume mashing with BIAB. I also see no reason you couldn't do a partial boil for BIAB just as well as you could for extract or traditional all-grain, with top-off water post-boil.

Personally, in my last two batches I mashed a little thicker than full-volume and did some simple sparging - the first time I just poured 172 degree water over the lifted grains and the second time a small hot-water pour and a cold-water dunk that made squeezing the bag much easier. I've got an IIPA coming up sometime in the nearish future, and if I go for a full five gallon batch, I'll definitely be mashing thick.

I believe the roots of BIAB are full-volume mash and no sparge or top-off, but there's no reason to limit yourself to that definition if you have a good reason to do so.

I agree different methods should work out also. I do a cool water sparge with a gallon of water to cool the grains off before squeezing too. My goal is to make decent beer with minimal effort.

BIAB like any other method can be done so many different ways.. full volume mash or standard volume mash/sparge, concentrated boil or full boil... quick chill or no-chill.. it's all in what works for you and if it makes the quality of beer that you are happy with.

Typically though, when people are referring to the standard BIAB method they are referring to full volume mash/boil.

Back