BIAB $20 Crane

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calgary222

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Here is a link to a collapsible crane build that I posted in the "other" category:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f256/20-biab-crane-lift-519168/

Around $20 depending on the bits you have lying around and less than an hour to build. It's narrow for easy storage in a shed or garage and can be put together or knocked down in less than a minute - hope you find it useful.

Not built yet, but I plan to build from a 2x2 a BIAB Squeezer - a 6" length with two hinges and probably plastic cutting boards attached to the 3' arms, sparge, squeeze, sparge squeeze... we'll see

Cheers,
Kerry

temp%205.jpg

Great Saturday brew with this stand. 27.5# grain bill and 10 gallon final with OG at 1.066. Only challenge was my ring design that allows pretty good access for sparging, also made it hard to close the lid for the mash - plus I used the full height of the crane with my stretchy bag,

(only other challenge was the dog barfed last night after finding where I dumped the grain - animal will eat anything...)

Cheers

IMG_20150314_163409.jpg

IMG_20150314_173423.jpg

IMG_20150314_173437.jpg

Not built yet, but I plan to build from a 2x2 a BIAB Squeezer - a 6" length with two hinges and probably plastic cutting boards attached to the 3' arms, sparge, squeeze, sparge squeeze... we'll see

Cheers,
Kerry

Love the home built crane, I think I would have been tempted to use the perforated angle (garage door mount?) on the ceiling as a hoist mount...jmo I'm lazy.

Regarding a bag squeezer, I think if you just let your bag hang and drain for 20 minutes or more it will produce a similar amount to squeezing. Less work and you already have the awesome crane....just my opinion again, I'm lazy and prefer to let gravity drain the bag....cheers and nice work!

I think I agree re the squeezer, I did use two cutting boards as the self draining started to subside and really didn't get anything else out of it. Re the crane, my intention is to be able to brew in outside on warm days. As it is, the back garage where I did the brewing still smells like brewery which might be an issue for my wife once she realizes...

Back