BG-14 plumbing/Reg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coinhall09

Reaction score
OK just to start out I have searched the threads and google answered some of my questions.

I will be using two BG-14 burners , bought the low pressure orifices because these seem to be the best and don't blow thru a lot of lp.

I am using keggles on a 3 tier stand with a cooler mlt.

I am trying to figure out how to plumb this all up , I thought about buying two lp quike connects off ebay and a 10 ft 3/8 low pressure hose off there too but that's pushing 90$ with out a regulator.

So question one what btu rating should I look for in a low pressure regulator to run these ?

I thought about trying to fit together the black pipe at lowes but that seems like it would just add more $ with adapters and fittings.

Would this reg work ?

http://www.amazon.com/Camco-57721-Pressure-Regulator-Hose/dp/B002UC8MJW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1390608809&sr=8-3&keywords=3%2F8+low+pressure+propane+regulator
It is rated for 70,000 btu per hour.

Ive been trying to figure out the best way to go as for $ and how long it will take me to get all parts to ship.

Like I stated before I thought about using lp quick connects .

Here is the cheapest that I have found...

http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-F276187-Propane-Connector/dp/B000AMC5WY

My thinking is to screw the female end onto the propane orfice , and then attach the male end onto the lp hose with the regulator .

Then after I sparge the 2nd time just disconnect from one burner and connect to brew kettle burner?

The only problem is I would need to find another female end quick connect.

Sorry for over thinking but I need to get the pipeline full and fast!
also I don't want to screw up and spend $ on something I didn't need or the wrong piece.

Soooo if anyone would care to check my idea and give some positive feedback mutch would be apprieceated.

Thanks , Jacob

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't use the same burners as you I went with BG10s, I did have a lot of the same questions when building my gas manifold.

I used black pipe from lowes, 3 T adapters, 3 ball valves and 3/8 hardline from the auto parts store from the adapters to the burners. I went with a 20lb regulator and if I had to do it again I would have went with a 30. If memory serves me I spent like $75 for the plumbing stuff. I'll try to attach a pic now and some close up ones tomorrow

Are you thinking of using the quick disconnects to save building a manifold?

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1390613043.008525.jpg

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1390613078.824419.jpg

Dang that looks good .

Is it low pressure ? I'm trying to pick a reg to buy the stuff this upcoming Friday .

I figured it would be a little easier to go with quick disconnects and a little cheaper once I Count in ball valves and the tubing from the manifold to the burner .

What reg are you using transamguy77?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

Build a manifold using 3/8 galvanized plumbing pipe. Put two ball valves for the "out" ports.
Use one regulator and plump to the "in" port.
Use soft copper or rubber low pressure LP hose from the ball valves to the burners.
Should cost somewhere in the $30 to $50 range (assuming you already have the right reg).

Then, when you're all done, add a battery powered ignitor (one ignitor will fire both burners).

Dang that looks good .

Is it low pressure ? I'm trying to pick a reg to buy the stuff this upcoming Friday .

I figured it would be a little easier to go with quick disconnects and a little cheaper once I Count in ball valves and the tubing from the manifold to the burner .

What reg are you using transamguy77?

I just went on eBay and found one, here is a link to one very similar.
Look at this on eBay:

Propane Regulator High pressure LPG bbq gas burner wok fryer roast hose 20psi

http://bit.ly/1elfQta

I just realized you are looking for low pressure, I think it will work but I'm not sure.

Hey Transamguy77 where did you find the short tubing that runs from manifold to burner?
Thanks for the info on the reg day tripper that place you linked said it is out or discontinued and to use the cheaper camco 2 stage . still trying to price out the 3/8 black pipe frome lowes with fittings but lowes online is not showing 3/8s . I know its like 4$ for 1ft ?
and then there is the tees , the 30$ reg, the 30 10 ft 3/8s hose , I would need to find a type 1 acme nut for the reg ?

I know it would look cool and awesome hard plumbed but time and kinda money is tight with school work family oh and im low on brew . :eek:

propane products doesn't seem to carry the type 1 acme nut so l looked on amazon and its about 10$

getting pretty pricy , Is my idea a no go or dangerous ?

[...]Thanks for the info on the reg day tripper that place you linked said it is out or discontinued and to use the cheaper camco 2 stage[...]

Whoops - didn't even notice that notice. But the Camco looks to be functionally identical and a bit cheaper - and I'd definitely go with a two-stage if you're going to run more than one BG-14 from the same source. From a couple of years of planning/plotting about converting to 11" WC to make automation with my Blichmann burners significantly cheaper and safer (using Honeywell valves and controllers instead of solenoids, for instance) and seeing lots of grief folks have had with single stage low pressure regs, you'll save yourself some aggro starting out on the right foot...

Cheers!

Hey Transamguy77 where did you find the short tubing that runs from manifold to burner?
Thanks for the info on the reg day tripper that place you linked said it is out or discontinued and to use the cheaper camco 2 stage . still trying to price out the 3/8 black pipe frome lowes with fittings but lowes online is not showing 3/8s . I know its like 4$ for 1ft ?
and then there is the tees , the 30$ reg, the 30 10 ft 3/8s hose , I would need to find a type 1 acme nut for the reg ?

I know it would look cool and awesome hard plumbed but time and kinda money is tight with school work family oh and im low on brew . :eek:

propane products doesn't seem to carry the type 1 acme nut so l looked on amazon and its about 10$

getting pretty pricy , Is my idea a no go or dangerous ?

I made them from 3/8" fuel line from the auto parts store and bent and flared the ends. Also I was gonna use all 3/8 but someone from my home brew club had said to use 1/2" black pipe has something to do with surface area and will help it not freeze up (he used to work with propane so I went with what he said). The T's I used are reduced to 3/8" so no need to buy extra adapters. I'll try to take some close up pictures after work so it's easier to understand.

I did mine all on a budget too so I totally get trying to buy just what you need. I think I spent like $140 for that whole manifold, fittings, ball valves, burners and the regulator with the hose.

Ok cool I. At work also , so if I tried to make one like you did I would need a tool to flare the tubing and what type of connections did you use to attach the tubing to the ball valves ? Sorry for so many ? S I know only about basic plumbing stuff .

Ok cool I. At work also , so if I tried to make one like you did I would need a tool to flare the tubing and what type of connections did you use to attach the tubing to the ball valves ? Sorry for so many ? S I know only about basic plumbing stuff .

I used a flaring tool to make the ends, you can "rent" it from most auto parts stores. I'll try to get a few close up pics in a little bit.

As far as fittings go I used an adapter for flared plumbing flexible lines like the ones under your sink or on your toilet, I think I used just a brass 3/8" to 3/8" adapter from the manifold T to the ball valve.

Awesome transamguy77 that clears up a lot of confusion , I've ordered the w stage reg and a 10 foot 3/8 propane tubing soo some time this weekend I should be working on it .

So just to clarify the fuel line can be had at say a advance auto , and it's 3/8s also ?.
I should use 1/2 in for the manifold and get 2 ball valves from Lowes ? Will Lowes cary the the flare nut that you have on the fuel line ?
Rent or find a flare tool and bam I should be good.

Thanks everyone

Awesome transamguy77 that clears up a lot of confusion , I've ordered the w stage reg and a 10 foot 3/8 propane tubing soo some time this weekend I should be working on it .

So just to clarify the fuel line can be had at say a advance auto , and it's 3/8s also ?.
I should use 1/2 in for the manifold and get 2 ball valves from Lowes ? Will Lowes cary the the flare nut that you have on the fuel line ?
Rent or find a flare tool and bam I should be good.

Thanks everyone

Yes it is 3/8" and yes you could get the fuel line at Advanced auto and ALL the fittings, ball valves and nuts I bought at Lowes.

Thank you sir I believe I've got all the info to make it but I may pm you later .

I am going to try to keep it 3/8s unless I start to have problems later , also In the pic I and going to add my other gas valve to my bottom burner I was just testing . I gotta pick up some more pipe fitting to flare fittings later this week to add the other valve. You can see where the black hose is hooked up to the tee at the bottom hopefully the pic is up and down . It's almost done just need the brake line and a flare tool and those fittings to finish it off .

1391992365839.jpg

Latest posts

Back