Better hop taste... 10 min... late... dry... whirl...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

triat00

Reaction score
So, Ive made a lot of test on IPAs, Neipa, Brut IPAs lately.
My girlfriend find that all my tests are "flavor short". I dont know if its the exact word but she tels me that my IPAs taste dont last.
My 4-5 last batchs were with full boil 60-90 hop for bittering then 0 minute / dryhop for taste and flavor.

My question: If I want a long lasting after taste, is 10 min good? My test for a sh**load at 0 minutes or dryhop shows that its not enough so I want a better timing.

NB: Ive teste a lot of kind of hops and it does not matter... the taste dont last

Regards

Here are a few pointers to get more hop punch. There are many good threads on IPAs and NEIPAs, look at their hop schedules, hop amounts, and process methods. How and when to add them. Some target total hop amounts: 4-8 oz for IPAs, 10-16 oz for NEIPAS (5 gallon batches).
  • Aside from late boil additions, whirlpooling hops / hop stands for longer periods at reduced temps after flameout will give you and retain much more flavor, more aroma, and less bitterness.
  • Avoid secondaries.
  • Timing. You should have your beer packaged in 2-3 weeks after brewing, max. 1 week grain/extract to glass is possible with kegging.
  • Definitely dry hops, 3-5 days before packaging.
  • Oxidation kills hop sensation. Eliminate (at least highly reduce) oxygen exposure, in all phases of the process, especially once fermentation has started.
  • Kegging (with forced carbonation) over bottling. You can bottle, but potential oxygen take-up from racking, bottling bucket, and filling bottles, plus the extra 3 weeks it takes to carbonate don't work in your favor.

Back