Better Call Saul

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK three things:

1) What kind of police department has the time and manpower to investigate "The Case of the Stolen Newspaper?"

2) Jimmy's been looking for a good case, why not "The Case of the Cops Tazed my Bro Just Because he has some Camping Gear?" (Other than the fact I guess that Bro wouldn't do well in a courtroom...CCTV maybe?)

3) Does that Kim character get hotter every week or what?

1- Especially when the resident clearly witnessed the brother paying for the "stolen" newspaper.

2-I dont think Saul will ever get that good cause, which is why I think he started representing the underbelly of society.

3- yes! yes she does! :rockin:

OK three things:

1) What kind of police department has the time and manpower to investigate "The Case of the Stolen Newspaper?"

And wouldn't kicking in someone's door and tasing them without a warrant or probable cause be a bit, I don't know, illegal?

2) Jimmy's been looking for a good case, why not "The Case of the Cops Tazed my Bro Just Because he has some Camping Gear?" (Other than the fact I guess that Bro wouldn't do well in a courtroom...CCTV maybe?)

Good question.

Hotter indeed. I love sultry way she speaks too.

Oh and I really want to buy one of the sex toilets too.

OK three things:

1) The cops show up to all kinds of crazy complaints... When I was a kid, an old lady called the cops because I knocked on her door looking for donations to a canned food drive. I was in my Boy Scout uniform. Old lady calls the cops about a newspaper and they show up to investigate is way more plausible than cops show up to investigate boy scout with a bag of canned peas.

2) Totally right. I think, though, that they're stuck, and Saul can't do anything. There's no way to get Chuck on the stand, and any further suit or investigation is going to cause what the doctor in the hospital said would happen - Chuck is accused of being a danger to the neighborhood. They could ask for an apology and maybe a new door, but that's about it. Anything else makes things worse for Chuck, even if he's the victim.

3) Good Lord, yes. I would paint her toenails. Hell, I'd lick her toes. I would make a hologram her and legally marry it.

Loved the Jello scene in the retirement home, complete w/Matlock-inspired suit. Saul is a great planner and schemer. That is why 'Hero' played so well and the Rolex scam. Great show, great writing, great lead character. Can't quite figure out who is going to be his primary foil throughout the series. I'm guessing gf or brother.

Wow, that was a great episode!!

Mike was always one of my favorite characters on Breaking Bad. I can do with a few more "Mike" episodes.

There are tough guys, there are bad a$$'s and there is MIKE!
Jonathan Banks absolutely killed that final scene!

That entire episode was unbelievably well done!

I loved the fake drunk and 2nd gun ruse in the alley too, but that last scene was great acting...he owned it.

Did anyone need to see more concrete proof of the partner and the sergeant's involvement? Or was Mike's accusation--even if based on no more than hearsay and a hunch--followed by their attempt on Mike's life, proof enough?

Did anyone need to see more concrete proof of the partner and the sergeant's involvement? Or was Mike's accusation--even if based on no more than hearsay and a hunch--followed by their attempt on Mike's life, proof enough?

I think since Mike is on the take, he knows how it goes. He knows who is in and and who is out.
I think he would also know that a junkie in a crack house would not get the drop on 3 patrolmen, and it seems like this is a well known "set up" to take care of the issue.

I am of the opinion he had a strong hunch or just plain knew, he outed them and they took the bait.

Such a great episode, so interesting seeing where mike came from. Feels like that might have been his first real step into the dark side?

Did anyone think the gunshot wound timing felt like it was a little off?

I'm hoping we get a similar treatment for Gus's backstory. That is one of the few threads I thought were left hanging in BB (along with what happened between Walt, Gretchen and Eliot).

Mike absolutely killed in this episode. I'm really glad the creators brought his character into the show.

The circumstances shown ware proof enough for me to believe Mike. The corroborating story from the wife about the phone call supports the story from yet another viewpoint.

I would be very concerned if cops I knew by name picked me up for intoxication and then took me to an abandoned yard well off the beaten path... I would think something was amiss... wouldn't you?

Source: years of watching bad cop/good cop movies.

I'm hoping we get a similar treatment for Gus's backstory. That is one of the few threads I thought were left hanging in BB (along with what happened between Walt, Gretchen and Eliot).

Mike absolutely killed in this episode. I'm really glad the creators brought his character into the show.

Agreed about gus. He was such an intriguing character in bb like mike. Can't remember, where did he come from? Was he introduced by Saul or one of his accomplices?

Agreed about gus. He was such an intriguing character in bb like mike. Can't remember, where did he come from? Was he introduced by Saul or one of his accomplices?

Saul knew a guy who knew a guy.

Gus came from Chile, but we never learned too much about him, other than how he got hooked up with the cartel in Mexico.

Saul knew a guy who knew a guy.

Gus came from Chile, but we never learned too much about him, other than how he got hooked up with the cartel in Mexico.

Yeah, they played out the scenario by which he got to know "Tio", in Mexico, to explain why he tormented him in the home. It has been a long time, but I thought Tio's men killed Gus' brother right in front of him when Gus and his brother approached them to get money for their chicken restaurant. Is that accurate?

Yeah, they played out the scenario by which he got to know "Tio", in Mexico, to explain why he tormented him in the home. It has been a long time, but I thought Tio's men killed Gus' brother right in front of him when Gus and his brother approached them to get money for their chicken restaurant. Is that accurate?

Gus and his chemist partner (maybe more?) Max made some meth in an attempt to work with Don Eladio and help him expand his drug business. Taken as a disrespect, Eladio had Tio kill Max in front of Gus. That was why Gus would tease Tio in the retirement home. It came full circle when Gus poisoned all of Eladio's crew (in one of the best scenes in BB, IMO). He just never had a chance to kill Tio himself.

"Generallisimo" Gus may or may not have been involved in the Pinochet regime in Chile in the 80's. That is what has been alluded to, just nothing completely concrete.

Good episode. I finally got to it today. I love that Mike is so in tune with everything cops do that he can create such perfect setups. Speaking of which, how did he manage to not actually be totally slammed? Did he somehow swap the contents of the bottle he was drinking from without the bartender knowing? That's the best solution I have.

(along with what happened between Walt, Gretchen and Eliot)

I think it's intentional that we never found this out. I was looking forward to finally learning the full story in the last season of BB. But after thinking about it, it really doesn't matter what the full story is. In the end, Walter's motivation is to satisfy his own selfishness and desire for power. Gretchen and Eliot are part of his past. They influenced where he is when season one opens, but they're really aren't the story. I think it's better that it just goes unsaid. We can guess at the story anyway, and going into it in a very detailed episode would just feel self-gratifying.

I’ve been meaning to try to catch some of the BB episodes where Saul was first introduced to see if there’s any foreshadowing (backshadowing?) to give hints of where Saul’s been in his life. Clearly at times during BB it seemed like Saul was very uncomfortable with what WW was doing, which makes you think if WW was the worst character Saul’s ever had to deal with (obviously at the end of BB, Walt was a monster, I’m talking about earlier in the show).

Isn't the nail shop his office in the strip mall from breaking bad? Think he moves out of that back storage closet as he gets bigger.

Mike is a badass, was so sad to see him go I. BB

Jonathan banks was in an episode of Walker Texas Ranger.Chuck and Mike together ? Now that is a whole lotta awesome right there.:rockin:

Good episode. I finally got to it today. I love that Mike is so in tune with everything cops do that he can create such perfect setups. Speaking of which, how did he manage to not actually be totally slammed? Did he somehow swap the contents of the bottle he was drinking from without the bartender knowing? That's the best solution I have.

They only show him nursing the one drink. He could have taken a sip every so often to keep up appearances (and get some liquor on his breath), then pour the rest in an empty beer bottle, or so on.

Slippin' Jimmie is too good to be a lawyer.

How are you so sure he is good? Pawned all of his old people wills on his brother haha. It's a great dynamic where he wants to do the right thing but he also wants to "make it."

The kettelmann lady is crazy haha. At the beginning of last night's episode he was talking with Mike on the bench and all the wanted posters were above them did any of them look familiar? I thought one was a character from breaking bad but couldn't remember

How are you so sure he is good? Pawned all of his old people wills on his brother haha. It's a great dynamic where he wants to do the right thing but he also wants to "make it."

I interpreted it as Saul trying to get his brother working again. True, they were Saul's cases, but I thought he was just trying to give him the bug. But you very well could be right.

The kettelmann lady is crazy haha. At the beginning of last night's episode he was talking with Mike on the bench and all the wanted posters were above them did any of them look familiar? I thought one was a character from breaking bad but couldn't remember

I totally missed the posters. I might go back and look for them. And, yes, Mrs. Kettlemann is a lunatic. This whole story line with them is great background for Breaking Bad.

But here is the real burning question: setting aside the crazy factor, who's hotter, Betsy Kettlemann or Kim Wexler?

That's a good question... I vote Kim Wexler, but I will bet money that if I look up the actress who plays Betsy Kettlemann, I'll find some smokin hot pictures of her.

That's a good question... I vote Kim Wexler, but I will bet money that if I look up the actress who plays Betsy Kettlemann, I'll find some smokin hot pictures of her.

Oh my...

9gb0532.jpg

Betsy pushes all my buttons when compared to Wexler. I hope they bring her back with some crazy elementary school-related lawsuit for Saul to handle.

I interpreted it as Saul trying to get his brother working again. True, they were Saul's cases, but I thought he was just trying to give him the bug.

That's how I interpreted it as well.

Love this show. I didn't watch a second of Breaking Bad while the series was still running, but watched it when AMC did the BB binge last year. Watched the whole series in only two months or so. So, when it was over, I was left wanting more. Although BCS is completely different than BB, it still has that same "style" that BB had. Drama, good acting, just the right amount of humor thrown in, and you really start to care about the main characters.
He really does seem like he wants to do what's right, but still has a lot of tricks up his sleeve. I'm looking forward to seeing his transition as he realized what the Kettleman's told him is true. He's the type of lawyer guilty people hire.

That picture in post #71, scha-frikkin'-wing! Let those things get some air!

Back on topic, when does Nacho show up again? That story certainly can't be over.

No reason I can see why the “bring the bribe into it and you’re both implicated” line wouldn’t have worked before Saul surrenders his $30K, especially with the other assets the Kettlepeople obviously have, and all the more so once he has the money in hand.

No reason I can see why the “bring the bribe into it and you’re both implicated” line wouldn’t have worked before Saul surrenders his $30K, especially with the other assets the Kettlepeople obviously have, and all the more so once he has the money in hand.

If you're going to poke holes in the plot, then why would Kim get in so much trouble from her firm for losing a client like that at that stage of the game? On a criminal defense, it's typically an hourly rate, and she did all the anticipated work up to the point of just signing a plea deal. It's not like a case of that nature is that high profile...especially when you know you can't win it at trial. And it's not like a business client, where it means a steady flow of future revenues for the firm.

Basically, it's not a documentary. Just enjoy it for what it is.

Back