Better Bottle Issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DoctorCAD

Reaction score
I went to a local winery/home brew supply store yesterday. Needed the usual supplies, corks, new bucket of cleaning soap, shrink caps, test jar for the one I lost.

I asked if he had a bottling bucket with a spout. He only had a slightly used 5 gallon Better Bottle with a spout that he would sell me for $15. Good deal, so I bought it.

Got home and cleaned it very well. Racked 1 gallon of my Pinot Noir into a 1 gallon glass bottle and 5 gallons into the Better Bottle. All was going well until the layers of newspaper under the Better Bottle became saturated with my wine!!!! The spout was leaking around the gasket surfaces.

I quickly cleaned the lees from the glass 6 gallon carboy and re-racked. I lost about a bottle of wine to my floor.

Is there any way to reseal the spout? It's the old style that looks like a spout on a coffee pot, you push down on it to open. The spout itself seems fine. I looked at Better Bottles web site and some on-line sales places and they have a new style that uses a long lug that you hook a piece of tubing and a steel rod to to hold it while you tighten from outside. Mine has a standard hex nut inside the bottle. I don't have any idea how to hold on to the hex and tighten it. I'd love to take it out and get new gaskets, but I don't see any available and I still wouldn't be able to turn the hex nut.

well with my bottling buckets i have noticed that if the spigot is tight enough it will hold itself while i tighten further. try twisting the spigot to the right. if the hex nut moves then i am fairly sure you are out of luck..... might be able to use hot glue but i wouldn't hold my breath.

I'd take it back and get my money back. A leaky Better Bottle isn't a "deal" at any price.

Back