Better bottle cleaning problem.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orangemen5

Reaction score
So I know the usual topic is getting the krausen rings off. I can get that off easily. It seems all of my better bottles have a stain on the center bottom of the bottle. I've soaked them in very strong pbw solution with hot water. Also tied a soft sided sponge to the end of a broom handle and scrubbed the bottom. I'm starting to think its a stained like a bucket would be stained, but I've heard better bottles don't stain. Has anyone else noticed this with there bottles. I've been using these bottles for about a year with no problems until I noticed this. So now I'm afraid to use them for fear of an infection.

Make certain that it's not on the outside first.:D As long as there is no actual debris inside the BB you shouldn't have a problem with it. If a stain is actually in the plastic surface and won't come out with PBW or oxiclean, I wouldn't worry about it as it probably won't come off into the beer and won't harbor bacteria. I have some BB's that have been used for over 5 years but have never noticed any staining.

I did scrub the outside. It's a brown color like a ring around the center. I've soaked these in a very strong solution and scrubbed them. If it didn't come off by now I'm theming it won't come off in the beer either. I guess I'll have to try it and see.

I've added a picture so you can see what I'm talking about. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1388261063.484850.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1388261081.631824.jpg

anybody see these kind of stains before? i can see it on my secondaries because i've aged a RIS and barley wine for 3-6 months. but on the primaries im surprised. i'm about to go glass or the northern brewer bubbler. at least it would be able to clean it. not happy with better bottles

It's probably just the difficulty of photographing something like that, but there sure seems to be a heck of a lot of actual crud in there...

Cheers!

Back