Better Bottle Blow-off tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sphericalcamel

Reaction score
What is the best way to set up a blow off tube for the 6 gallon BB? I don't have any giant tubing that will plug up the mouth of the carboy. Should I just put tubing on the middle part of my 3 piece airlock or try to make something better?

(Starting a hefe this weekend)

I don't think I would trust that small of a tube for a blowoff. I drilled a #10 stopper and fit it with a 1.25 blowoff tube. There is never a worry that way.

Get a carboy cap and attach the tubing to that.

Or get a drilled stopper and stick the tube into that.

If you decide to use the 3piece airlock, make certain you cut off the bottom of the tube because it comes to nearly a point and has an X of plastic molded into it which makes an effective hop filter which is excellent for creating pressure inside the carboy, thereby allowing you to squirt your ceiling with wort.

I use this one sold by Hearts Homebrew, made for Better-Bottles. It uses a #10 stopper that is drilled to accept a 5/8" ID length of tubing. If you have any worries that the 5/8" ID tubing isn't large enough to avoid a clog, see photo of the massive blowoff I had with a 1.090 Imperial Stout! It never came close to plugging up.

bbtlblowoflg.jpg

4295-DSC02202.jpg

Latest posts

Back