Bet I Killed My Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HamiltonBrian

Reaction score
So, long story short, brewed this morning. Ran wort through my plate chiller, added some to my mason jar of Burton yeast which I have been coveting (hard to start, made for a good yeast for my Christmas Ale, etc). Poured that slurry into the carboy and began filling the carboy from the kettle.

Touched my carboy...wow! Was it ever hot! Realized I hadn't turned my hose on and there was no cold water running through my plate chiller. So, I filled it up to my 6 gallon mark and through a cap on it.

I've got a blow-off tube running off of it, in the hopes I didn't kill my yeast.

If after a couple of days I don't get any fermentation happening (I turned on the water in time to fill my 2nd carboy and am using a 3rd gen California Ale yeast), could I just grab another vial of Burton and pitch that?

It sounds like a new-brewer question, but it's the first time in I don't know how many years I've done this.

I don't know how hot you got it, but it sounds like you killed most of your yeast. I would re-pitch.

It was pretty close to boil...around 190-200F. I am surprised the carboy didn't crack since we're in the single digits celsius today.

If you pitched at that high of a temperature, assume that you killed all of your yeast and repitch as soon as possible. If fermentation starts, it's likely from wild yeast and/or bacteria contamination.

From experience - Don't wait to see if some yeast survived, just re-pitch.

I did something similar and waited a few days to see if the yeast survived. There were some tiny mold rafts developing. I brought the wort to a boil again to kill the spores then re-piched with a good starter. It worked but next time I will be careful with the starter.

Back