Best young Belgian yeast strain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TastyAdventure

Reaction score
Which commercially available Belgian yeast strain, other than WLP500, is ready to drink quickly?
I know most Belgian strains benefit from a little age, but I'm looking for a quicker turn around on my 1.066 Belgian Dubbel.

wyeast 3522 Ardennes, ferment at the bottom of the temp range and it will be cleaner. Start bumping the temp after 3 or 4 days to get it to finish up quicker. It can be messy, so make sure you have plenty of head space and/or blow off tube.

The yeast they use for BOMM style mead, Belgian Strong Ale 1388, seemed to make drinkable mead pretty quick. I used it on a belgian blonde, not sure if it would be appropriate for a Dubbel.

fwiw, wlp3787 has become a favorite here for the flavor characters and ease of use (specifically, it loves being warmed up a bit).

It takes no longer to turn out a lovely refectory ale than any pale I've done, and I don't let things linger in the pipeline. Two weeks in the fermentor then cold-crashed and kegged, two weeks cold-carbing, and it's good to go...

Cheers!

This exBEERiment is underway. OG 1.065.
2.5 gal each of
WLP530 over oxygenated, under pitched
WLP530 under oxygenated, over pitched
2.5 gal each of
WLP550 over oxygenated, under pitched
WLP550 under oxygenated, over pitched

The under pitched got 0.72 mil cells / mL / P
The over pitched got 1.43 mil cells / mL / P

Under oxygenated was shaken for 1 minute
Over oxygenated was shaken for 2 minutes, then another 2 minutes a couple hours later, then 10 seconds 10 hours after pitching.

48 hrs after pitching, all yeasts are blowing through my airlocks

It sounds like you're already underway, but I recently brewed a Tripel with Wyeast 3864 (Canadian Belgian) that is surprisingly good young. Might want to give it a shot in the future. I'm hoping to use it again soon in a lower gravity beer.

Latest posts

Back