Best Yeasts and Flavor Characteristics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BenjiEDF

Reaction score
If there is already a post about this then give me a hint on how to use the search feature because I can't find it.

*EDIT Ok I'm finding some good info now thanks guys. If anyone wants to chime in on their preferred yeast for cider it would be appreciated.

What are common yeasts (or uncommon) for apple cider that you have used to make a good end product? Looking for a final alcohol content of 5-8%

I've had these recommended to me and have some batches going but nothing completed and tasted yet.

Red Star Champagne
Red Star Cotes' De Blanc
Lalvin 71b-1122
Safale S-04

Somebody is bound to recommend Nottingham yeast. It seems like that is a favorite in the forum. I haven't tried it, but I have tried the two red star yeasts you mentioned with good success. The flavor of different yeasts is pretty subtle. You should be fine with any of the ones you listed. The type of juice or cider seems to make more of a difference as far as the taste goes, IMHO.
As for the search, try searching 'yeast experiment'. I know somebody posted a thread named something like that. Oh, and set aside about three days to go through all the threads, as there is a TON of info on this site.

Latest posts

Back