Best yeast for dunkelweizen and weisbock?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

breckenridge

Lurker
Reaction score
I'm planning to keep one of my taps loaded with dunkelweizen for the indefinitely long future, perfecting over a long period of time, carefully tweaking one element at a time.

What yeast do you all suggest that could work for both that and eventually a weisbock? I'm not a huge fan of big banana, I like it balanced with spice.

Thinking mostly WLP 300 or 380 (lhbs is a White Labs joint), and keeping temps fairly cool.

I use Weihenstephan 68, currently get it from BSI (I don't think they sell to home brewers though)… anyway, that seems to be White Labs 300. I use it for Hefeweizen, Dunkelweizen and Weizenbock.. it works great for all three and the degree of banana varies with ferment temps and so on so you can get a none to a little to a lot. If you are concerned, I would call White Labs and say I want to do X, this is the equipment I have, how do I need to tweak it?

I use WLP300 as well. For Dunkleweizen I keep the fermenter at 62F and it turns out very much like a true German example. Even more so than when I brew hefeweizen.

Dunkleweizen is one of Bavaria's treasures. I use the "Dan Gordon" recipe he gave on the Brewcasters show which is used for Gordon Biersch Dunkleweizen. A lot of step mashes and some difficult to find grains but it is quite a nice beer for homebrewing.

Latest posts

Back