Best yeast for clear beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biere_Titan

Reaction score
Not sure if there's an answer to this, but here goes...

I read elsewhere that some yeasts that don't flocculate out that well and need encouragement via cold crashing. If I'm going to be lazy and forgo cold crashing, what yeasts lend themselves to rendering clearer beers?

I've used Irish Moss, but never gelatin (my wife's a vegetarian), but all my beers end up being somewhat cloudy.

Thanks for the info.

Slainte

If you are lazy, just let it sit longer. It will clear without crashing.

Be careful on why you choose a certain yeast. If you use a highly flocculant yeast, you risk it dropping out before fermentation is complete, and having to try and rouse it back into suspension.

High flocculation yeasts work great when you keep it in it's ideal temp range. The WL029 German ale/kolsh yeast I used on the current two batches had the dark one fermented out & cleared in a bit over 2 weeks. Gave it an even 3 & bottled it today. 65 bottles of clear beer.

Different yeasts, different tastes, different styles.
Let's start by you telling us what style you would like to brew and clear quickly.
What yeasts have you used, and what temperatures that you didn't like?

I'm all over the place with the yeasts I've use: Nottingham, Safale-05, Wyeast American Ale, British Ale, Belgian Ale, Belgian Abbey II, Biere de Garde, Denny's Favorite, for example. Mostly they've been chosen for the style of ale and temperature range for my basement at the time of fermenting. Next on the drawing board are a pale ale, red ale and an IPA.

Latest posts

Back