best way to transport beer on airplane

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lunkerking

Reaction score
So I am traveling to the east coast via airplane and I am considering putting some homebrew in my checked baggage.

What is the best choice to avoid beer spilling all over inside my suitcase? Use a growler and cap it, or use a bottle with ez-cap seals?

I wrap in socks and make sure the bottles are not touching and in the middle of the checked luggage. Haven't had a problem yet....knock on wood

Sounds like its not worth the hassle. Leave the home brew at home, buy some beer when you get here. If there is a spill, your luggage may be pulled by the TSA for inspection and that could cause a delay in the arrival of your bags.

I've traveled with beer, wine, and ... lets just leave it at beer and wine. Stick in pocket of jeans/shorts, ball it up and done. I've never had an issue. I've packed a case of wine and brought it back like this without issue. Just package correctly.

I have bought beer and brought beer. Southwest is the easiest to deal with as you can check two bags. I have a can seamer and have had no problems. I have not tried growlers but regular bottles work fine n

I flew to Nashville recently to meet fellow brewers with homebrew and local craft. I wrapped the local cans and bottles in bubble wrap. The homebrew went into swing tops which then were put in vacuum seal bags and sealed. I use a hard sided suitcase to prevent damage. It worked well.

I believe in preparing for the worst, hoping for the best. So I wrap the 12/16/22oz bottles in bubble wrap and then place in a gallon zip loc bag (one bottle per bag). I then fold over the excess plastic of the bag, and tape it down-- exhausting as much air as possible in the bag. After all the bottles are treated this way, I then wrap them in cloths to provide extra cushioning.

I have been doing it this way for 20 years and I have always had success doing this.

:mug:

Back