Best way to start this great hobby?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chillout

Reaction score
Hi, I'm Mike from CNY. I'm a big beer fan, kinda partial to IPA's favorite being from Dogfish head which is $$. I'd really like to get into making my own brews. I don't know the first thing about it though and need to study up. Can anyone provide me with a few bits of info?
1. Where is the best place to read about the process online?
2. Should I purchase a kit or should I buy all the supplies piece by piece? ( I'd rather buy quality supplies first instead of going cheap and spending more later).
3. Any beginner tips that you can offer?
Thank you.

1 - How to Brew by John Palmer. free online version of his book. has some out-of-date info, but is by far the best place to start online

2 - the book has a list of basic supplies you will need, plus optional equipment that comes in handy. you'll have to go by what you're capabilities are at the moment. if you have a gas stove with good ventilation, you can do all-grain BIAB on the stove. if you have an electric range, you might not be able to get 5 to 7 gallons going at a rolling boil. if you have room outside, you can get a turkey fryer (propane burner + big kettle)

I started with a kit till I got the hang if things then went and got bigger and better supplies, and biggest tip is make sure to sanitize everything and to follow a recipe or instructions closely for the best results

Hi mike, Welcome to the obsession, if it takes hold. I would highly recommend 3 thinks to start off with.

#1) Purchase any one of these books and read it. How to Brew by John J. Palmer or The Complete joy of home brewing third addition by Charlie Papazian.

#2) Purchase a starter kit from a local home brew store and make something you like. Follow the direction listed and continue to read the book you purchased.

#3) Relax sit back and have a commercial brew until your home brew is done. Continue reading your book and maybe listen to pod casts that are out there.

The Brewing network has some great archive podcasts, after getting through the bs has great information. Start at the very begining 2005 then go from there.

If the bug hits you after your fist home brew, trust me you will know, then the door will open up even wider to the obsession of homebrewing.

When I first started out (over 17 years ago), I boiled liquid malt extract in a 5 gallon pot. I'd boil 3 gallons, then dump it into a carboy which had a couple gallons of cold spring water to cool it, then I'd top it off with more water, then add a dried packet of yeast. Those beers came out surprisingly good.

After several batches like this, I moved to all grain and a bigger pot, and much more equipment. You can make great beer with extract (and a few steeping grains), and if you really feel like it's something you want to get into, you can get more advanced and start buying more and more specialized equipment.

Keep a look out on Groupon or LivingSocial. They tend to have some good deals from Northern Brewer or Midwest for beginners kits. Usually include one recipe kit as well.

Keep a look out on Groupon or LivingSocial. They tend to have some good deals from Northern Brewer or Midwest for beginners kits. Usually include one recipe kit as well.

This is how I got started. I did a Groupon from American Brewmaster and immediately spent twice the Groupon amount upgrading to the deluxe kit. It was still a good buy. Their "textbook" was laughable now that I read it again, but otherwise, it was a good kit and made my start easy. I still don't see how people start without the basics such as a hydrometer and siphon. :)

I read a Homebrew book from 1963
I bought all equipment from Ebay.
2 Kegs 1 FV all equipment needed plus 80 bottles £50
My mother brought me a second FV
I bought 9 kits from tesco that had just passed their best before date £140 worth for £52
My first Kegging is this coming saturday :0

Not planning on looking back

FV 1 Coopers real ale
FV 2 Coopers Stout
Keg 1 Empty
Keg 2 Empty
120 Bottles Empty

Hi mike, Welcome to the obsession, if it takes hold. I would highly recommend 3 thinks to start off with.

#1) Purchase any one of these books and read it. How to Brew by John J. Palmer or The Complete joy of home brewing third addition by Charlie Papazian.

#2) Purchase a starter kit from a local home brew store and make something you like. Follow the direction listed and continue to read the book you purchased.

#3) Relax sit back and have a commercial brew until your home brew is done. Continue reading your book and maybe listen to pod casts that are out there.

The Brewing network has some great archive podcasts, after getting through the bs has great information. Start at the very begining 2005 then go from there.

If the bug hits you after your fist home brew, trust me you will know, then the door will open up even wider to the obsession of homebrewing.

I agree with everything eluterio states here, but would add to also spend alot of time on this forum, just looking around, linking from one post to another. You'll learn fast. Good luck and welcome! :mug:

You can save money on your initial costs by not buying a secondary. Most of us don't bother with them anyway.

Put that money towards some kind of fermentation temperature control. Good beer isn't fermented at room temp unless you happen to live where it's pretty cool.

Currently reading John J. Palmer How to brew.
Should I invest in basic kit or just buy individual pieces of equipment? I'd like to start off with everything being decent quality instead of buying a bunch of cheap things that will not be sufficient two or three batches later.

Would a kit like this put me on the right path to starting out right? I already know I'm gonna enjoy the hobby, I love craft beer and I'm somewhat of a diy'er.
http://morebeer.com/products/personal-home-brewery-kit-4-bottling-super-deluxe-1.html

As far as temperature control what's the best option there? I have an electric stove in my home so unless my propane grill with side burner is enough to boil the pot I may need to purchase a propane powered turkey fryer. Gotta test the grill out to see if it would boil it hot enough.

Should I invest in basic kit or just buy individual pieces of equipment? I'd like to start off with everything being decent quality instead of buying a bunch of cheap things that will not be sufficient two or three batches later.

Would a kit like this put me on the right path to starting out right? I already know I'm gonna enjoy the hobby, I love craft beer and I'm somewhat of a diy'er.
http://morebeer.com/products/personal-home-brewery-kit-4-bottling-super-deluxe-1.html

As far as temperature control what's the best option there? I have an electric stove in my home so unless my propane grill with side burner is enough to boil the pot I may need to purchase a propane powered turkey fryer. Gotta test the grill out to see if it would boil it hot enough.

That kit is an excellent way to get started. I'd consider it an above-average starter kit. When you are ready to jump into all grain brewing (no dried or liquid extract, only grain), you'll also need a simple igloo cooler for your mash tun. Don't worry about that now.

Scope out an extract kit on MoreBeer or Northern Brewer or Austin Homebrew or one of the other online sites. It will have all the ingredients.

Spend as much time on this forum as you can. Watch videos on youtube. Ask questions. There's no dumb question in the Beginner's Brewing Forum.

BTW, the "temp control" referred to was for fermentation. Yeast will make better beer when kept at proper temperatures. Ale yeasts like 60-70F. The ideal way to this is with a fridge or freezer that has an external temperature controller, such as the Ranco or Honeywell A19 / A419.

That's a lot of equipment!

I went with a simpler kit to start with as most of it will work with the All Grain or BIAB stuff. With the electric stove you can do pretty tasty extract beers, but I don't see boiling any more than 2-3 gallons (unless you have a really awesome electric stove!) I have been boiling on electric for all my beers.

One thing I have yet to purchase (and will before I brew my next batch) is a wort chiller, a worth while investment IMHO.

I have been at this for a few months now, and it gets addicting! Already trying to figure out my next batch! Good Luck and enjoy!

if you seriously have the money to spend what more beer has is a great system to start with. if you have a few extra bucks and space disregard if you already have them are a digital water proof thermometer i bought cheap 10 dollar ones 3 to be exact all died cause of water/steam. i bought this and its been solid http://brewhardware.com/thermometers/76-cdn-digital-thermometer

next would be a propane stove invest in a good one you will be happy you did. if you have one outstanding.

this forum is great but youll always doubt yourself until you try it. chances are the forum comes out ahead.

last i love talking beer so anytime IM me if you have any questions. I went from a cheap ass system that was bough for me 2 years ago for christmas. I slowly built my way up from extract with a 5 gallon boiling pot to full all grain and still need more stuff! I only wish I had a few more dollars to make my set up $$$$!

I'm going to order that kit, hopefully it will jump start my first brewing.
Does anyone know if a regular burner on a propane grill would suffice for the boiling? If not I'm gonna have to find a good deal on something else. I'll be storing the fermenting carboy in my basement. It's dry and cosistently around 75 during summer and 65-70 during winter. Would I still be better off getting a fermenting cooler with temps like that?
My water is around 7.4 ph and our areas water supply is only treated with chlorine. Should I give it a go with tap or am I better off using rodi water(already have a system), or bottled water? Thanks for the info.

You have taken the 1st step in the right direction by joining HBT. This forum has so much valuable information for every phase of brewing to bottling/kegging and everything in between. Spend as much time here researching other brewer's experiences.

Also read all of the above recommended books, which will only help you improve your brewing technique as you get more involved.

As for equipment, I would also search CL to see what is out there. On any given day, I can find 5-10 home brew kits, that have only been used one or two times, for a reasonable price. It is definitely worth a look. Welcome to the forum!

I'm going to order that kit, hopefully it will jump start my first brewing.
Does anyone know if a regular burner on a propane grill would suffice for the boiling? If not I'm gonna have to find a good deal on something else.

This isn't a bad little $59 kit since it includes a 5-gallon extract batch - http://www.windriverbrew.com/apprentice.html

The propane grill burner won't cut it. Some folks have gotten started using a turkey fryer rig. Just be sure to season the aluminum pot (boiling water 45-50 min) before brewing in it.

Right now, you'll be better served starting off with doing partial-batch boils on the stove top and topping off with ice cold bottled spring water. It's much easier to cool 2.5 gallons of wort in an ice bath vs. 5.5 gallons. You're going to want to get it down into the 60's to pitch.

I'll be storing the fermenting carboy in my basement. It's dry and cosistently around 75 during summer and 65-70 during winter. Would I still be better off getting a fermenting cooler with temps like that?

I'm afraid that's too warm to get a nice clean ferment. You'll at least need to set up a swamp cooler or a tub w/ ice bottles or a combo of both. Or, you can jump straight into making a control box (I really like the STC-1000) to plug a fridge or freezer into. Remember, you want to be able to keep the beer temp in the low to mid-60's.

My water is around 7.4 ph and our areas water supply is only treated with chlorine. Should I give it a go with tap or am I better off using rodi water(already have a system), or bottled water? Thanks for the info.

What's "rodi water"? If that's the same as reverse osmosis, you're good to go. If it's a water softener (good for showers, bad for brewing), go get some bottled spring water instead.

Youtube is a very useful resource just to get through the basic steps, and watching old episodes of brewing tv really helped me out

I think it's great that you're interested in getting decent equipment from the start rather than getting substandard now and planning to upgrade later.

I just brewed my 9th batch today, so I'm by no means a veteran, but this is the advice I'd give.

1) The capper that came with my starter kit was crap. It survived 7 and a half batches. When I told my LHBS that sold it to me they said they were surprised it even lasted that long. I don't know about other kit cappers, but I'd say invest in a bench capper if you're not going right to kegs.

2) Build some of the equipment yourself, such as the mash-tun and the wort chiller. It's a great way to learn more about your new hobby, it's fun, you will save a few bucks, you can take pride in it and it will get you super-pumped up to finally do your first brew.

3) You can buy a turkey frier, but everyone that owns a blichmann burner, including myself, is super happy with it.

4) Choose the right sized kettle. I do 5-6 gallon batches and am very pleased that I went with a 15 gallon kettle. You 'can' get away with smaller, but it makes it that much more difficult to go and make yourself a sandwich in the middle of a brew. I brewed a batch today that required 8.5 gallons of wort before any boil off was accounted for and I had to keep a careful eye not to have a boil over.

5) I farted around with various cheap brewing thermometers until I put two in my mashtun and found them to be 20 degrees apart. I had no idea which one to believe, if either. Now I have a "thermapen" (search these forums or google it) and know they were both drastically wrong.

The equipment for brewing can be expensive. You can do it on the cheap, but I find that the process is a lot easier, more reliable and I feel a lot more confident with good equipment. It's ultimately up to you to decide in what areas of brewing you want to have the best equipment known to man, and where you can cut corners. For example, I don't own a stir plate (for yeast starters) and really don't feel the need to.

Ask lots of questions on here. I've yet to have an unfriendly response to a question I've posted, and I've asked quite a few 'dumb' questions.

Don't be surprised or hugely disappointed if your first batch doesn't beat the commercial competition hands down (or your second, third, fourth, etc). Some brewers report fantastic results on their first attempt, but for me there's been a heck of a learning curve, and I expect to get better at it.

Good luck, and it's good to hear that the hobby has found you. I'm guessing you're hooked before you've even brewed your first batch. I know I was.

I have been reading into the temperature control for fermenting. I see the stc-1000 control unit but what is generally recommended for the actual cooler unit? A cheap fridge, or a cheap freezer? Is the controller the only thing needed to make the unit function as a yeast cooler?

I have been reading into the temperature control for fermenting. I see the stc-1000 control unit but what is generally recommended for the actual cooler unit? A cheap fridge, or a cheap freezer? Is the controller the only thing needed to make the unit function as a yeast cooler?

A used chest freezer, upright freezer or fridge. Any of them will serve the purpose. If you get an STC-1000, you'll have to build an outlet box into which you plug the freezer/fridge. If you can wire a household outlet, it's a piece of cake. There are a few threads here which give step-by-step instructions.

I'm looking into a chest freezer and temp control myself. The temp control I'm looking at is a Johnson Controls A19AAT-2C. It's about $50 and requires no wiring because the freezer just plugs into the back of the temperature control plug. It seems a lot simpler to use than some of the others I see recommended a lot, but you can't run a heat source through it. That shouldn't be a problem, though, if you keep your freezer inside like mine would be.

As for equipment, I would also search CL to see what is out there. On any given day, I can find 5-10 home brew kits, that have only been used one or two times, for a reasonable price. It is definitely worth a look. Welcome to the forum!

CL is awesome for the homebrewer.

Got a free working frig for a fermentation chamber off CL.

Scored lots of 22 oz bottles w/boxes free off CL.

Recently got 2 glass carboys, 3 cases of 22oz bottles, 3 cases wine bottles, a bunch of assorted brewing gear (to much to list) for $75 off CL.

If the wife hadn't bought my kits for x-mas presents for me last year, I'd have saved big bucks on CL.

Ken

Back