Best way to split starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pearlbeer

Reaction score
I'm brewing 10g batches, splitting into 2 carboys for fermentation. I've been doing two starters (usually experimenting with different strains).

Wondering if I wanted to do one large starter, how would it be best to split the starter in the fermenters?

What I think would be the easiest to do is to make a large starter (for the sake of example, let's say 2L). Then before pitching, stir the starter well to ensure all of the yeast are in suspension and distributed evenly. Then pour the starter evenly between two sanitized jars or other flask (1L in each). Then cold crash and decant the starter wort and pitch each into its respective carboy.

I think this would be easier then making the starter, decanting, and then trying to split up the yeast afterward. Seems to me that splitting when the yeast are in suspension should be easier.

I do it all the time. I crash/decant as usual, then when it's pitch time I shake up the yeast to get a good homogenized suspension, then just "eyeball" pour it between the two carboys. A little over here, now a little more over there... dump the last of the dregs, in, er, THAT one. Relax, don't worry, have a homebrew. Results taste the same in both carboys, plus I like to blend the two together at kegging time just in case.

I do it all the time. I crash/decant as usual, then when it's pitch time I shake up the yeast to get a good homogenized suspension, then just "eyeball" pour it between the two carboys. A little over here, now a little more over there... dump the last of the dregs, in, er, THAT one. Relax, don't worry, have a homebrew. Results taste the same in both carboys, plus I like to blend the two together at kegging time just in case.

+1 This is the manly way to do it!:D No need to go all cubic millimeter on it.

Another option is to split the first half of the starter between the two carboys, then add more wort to the 2nd half of the starter, give it another good swirl, and then split the whole thing in half between the carboys.

The more you dilute the concentration of yeast in the starter, the easier it will be to get an even distribution of cells.

As Catt22 said, don't go crazy, but dilluting the starter a bit will help you avoid dumping the highest concentration of yeast at the very end. I use a lot of English yeasts, and the last bit that pours from the starter is usually a very clumpy mass; splitting that mass evenly would be a difficult task. It is easier to eyeball a liquid than a solid.

Joe

Back