best way to add fruit(orange)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was just curious in particular about oranges and how each way of adding it would affect the flavor now using fresh oranges in lets say a Bavarian Wit...

Generally adding oranges i can use sweet orange peel which is only the zest correct? Bitter orange peel which would include the rind? and straight up mashing oranges...

How would each affect the taste on the beer would I get a stronger orange flavor from mashed oranges or would it just make it really acidic?

How do bitter and sweet orange peels compare? Most people use bitter but i feel like the zest holds the oils which give u the aromatics...

Fermented oranges are incredibly sour. Add lots of zest at flameout, consider adding orange extract at bottling/kegging.

+1

Do not use orange juice/pulp. Makes vomitty taste IMO. I've never used the extract but I've heard it is artificial tasting and would encourage cautious use if at all. There's a great thread on a blue moon clone on here that talks a lot about getting orange flavor into the beer. My best rec from experience, use anywhere from 3-8 tbsp of dried orange zest at flameout or zest fresh fruit (leave white pith) and add to secondary.

I attained great results from fresh organic Valencia zest.

Edit: at about 5 minutes until end of boil.

No more than 10 minutes left in the boil add zest or peel. Peel will have more pith and thus more sour flavor. We use a potato peeler and just take the top layer off the oranges. 4 oranges per 5g.

thanks for the replies and ill look for that blue moon clone thread as well... so every1 is in agreeance i assume dont use juice or pulp? i personally think id like to try just the zest maybe use the bitter peel if i were to round out the flavor a bit with honey...

thanks

Just use the zest, no pulp.

Honey does nothing, it completely ferments out drying the beer ratherthan giving any sweetness.

Just use the zest, no pulp.

Honey does nothing, it completely ferments out drying the beer ratherthan giving any sweetness.

in my opinion i think this is due to people adding the honey too early i mean some people cook the honey which makes no sense its a sterile liquid what is cooking it ganna do? and yes honey is 100% fermentable but if you wait til the end of fermentation when the yeast is no longer as active shouldnt some honey remain?

in my opinion i think this is due to people adding the honey too early i mean some people cook the honey which makes no sense its a sterile liquid what is cooking it ganna do? and yes honey is 100% fermentable but if you wait til the end of fermentation when the yeast is no longer as active shouldnt some honey remain?

The yeast is no longer active because it's out of sugar. If you add more sugar it will get going again (as it does every time you bottle condition). You would need to filter, or chill it - something to deactivate it.

I almost always add oranges, grapefruit, tangerines, etc to my brews with very little success. I add at flameout and get a hint. My best result has been to simply add the zest to a small amount of vodka, let it set for a week, filter out the zest and add the vodka to my secondary before I rake. You could try this in your bottling bucket but I get concerned about an even dilution of the vodka. Its the best and easiest way to get the flavor.

And bottle with honey if you want to get a subtle hint of honey, I always do that. Honey is 100% fermentable but it does not mean it ferments out 100%. Usually around 85-90% depending on when you add it during your fermentation, the later the more that hangs around. Beersmith lists honey as 90% if you select it as your carbing sugar. I see a lot of brewers add a ton of honey during fermentation or right after it. This will really dry out your beer and diminish the flavor.

Finally, different honeys provide different flavors. Clover honey, the most common, is basically useless in terms of flavor, very little with come through. Try orange blossom or buckwheat for a stronger flavor.

Back