Best way to add Carafa II to my Vienna Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Augusto Sotero

Reaction score
Hi there homebrewers!
I need some help finishing up the details for my next beer.
I took the recipe from an article written by Jamil at the byo magazine.

The point in question is that it asks for a little bit of huskless Carafa II.

What would be the best way to add it to my Vienna lager? Cold steep over night ? At then end of mash in? Any better ideas ? I don’t have any experience using roasted malts like that.

Thanks in advance!

The best way to add Carafa to a Vienna is to leave it out. All you need for a Vienna is lots of high-quality Vienna malt. If you do add it, I'm assuming it's a tiny dose for color, just add to the rest of the grain bill.

Thanks guys. I just want it for color adjustment. Don't any of the roastness from the malt.

Do you guys just crush the grains and add it like 10 minutes before start sparging ?
Or add it in a grain bag or something, leave it for 10 minutes and take it out before start sparging?

You might get some slight roasty flavors. If you want color maybe sone black prinz at like 2oz might do better. Or some debittered black malt.

You might get some slight roasty flavors. If you want color maybe sone black prinz at like 2oz might do better. Or some debittered black malt.
I agreed, black Prinz or midnight wheat would be better.

I would use only a tiny amount and steep it overnight. Then pass the runnings through a coffee filter before adding at knockout.

This way you minimize any potential flavor addition.

I think I am gonna go with cold steeping as well... from what I have been researching seems like the best method to add colour without flavor.

Do you use the same amount the recipe calls ? I am afraid cold steeping the colour I am gonna get is less than if hot steeping so i would have to add a little bit more. I am adding 50 grams to 19L

I just did some cold steeping for a Schwarzbier, I pitched yeast into, yesterday. I used double the amount of carafa special 2 usually used, but I was also trying to get it as dark as a stout. I have the feeling, judging the colour I see there and comparing it to stouts with the same amount of roasted malt but mashed normally, I would say add 1/3 to 2/3 of what the recipe asks for and the colour should be in the ballpark of what you'd get from including it in the mash.

I used a ratio of 1/4 in weight between roast malt and water. It did soak for about 20h.

With regular Carafa, if you don't want roast, you can steep in the kettle while you're running off, cap the mash with it, or cold steep it in a french press or something and add it near the end of the boil. You may want to opt for a dehusked malt or a roasted wheat malt instead, however, because you can just add them to the entire mash and not worry about it.

Back