Best Top Croppers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoptualBrew

Reaction score
I have a Pumpkin Ale fermenting right now that stacked up a huge krausen after a vigorous start to fermentation. The yeast responsible is WY1007 German Ale. In light of this, I was wondering what strains y'all have experienced that were awesome top croppers.

So far for me;

WY1007 German Ale
WY1318 London Ale III

Add on to the list! Cheers

Wow, after reading the reviews, I will be checking this yeast out. I love brewing English styles, so I'm looking for an all around cropper that I can brew my Milk Stout, ESB, Southern Brown, Porter, and English IPA with & crop and pitch for generations upon generations.

Burton yeast is especially good for brewing with water that has a lot of Burton salts in it. I like the Brew Craft brand (gypsum, magnesium sulfate, potassium sulfate).

Wyeast 3944, 3787, and 3068 are great for top cropping! 3944 has a kraussen that last forever, I've racked from underneath it before.

WY1469, especially in re-pitched batches.

So much so that there is still yeast on the surface after weeks and weeks.

1318 is great for top cropping. Granted I only used wy1469 in 3 beers, only one of them was top cropable. The super flocculent strains like wy1968 and wy1469 seem to need a massive pitch to top crop or else they just create a small foamy krausen that falls into the wort really early. ...has anyone made a beer with wy1469 they actually liked? Every beer myself or friends have made with it had a green apple taste I wasn't a fan of. ...and has little floaty yeast chunks that won't fine out or settle on their own.

...has anyone made a beer with wy1469 they actually liked? Every beer myself or friends have made with it had a green apple taste I wasn't a fan of. ...and has little floaty yeast chunks that won't fine out or settle on their own.

Yes, love this strain. Green apple sounds like the yeast flocced early before finishing. Raising the temp at the end of fermentation helps, and some even rouse the yeast. And mine all cleared beautifully. The flavor is amazing.

Back