Best suited style for old LME?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ja09

Reaction score
Some of my LME is getting a little old, around 6-8 months from purchase. 12.6lbs of Briess Gold in jugs from Midwest that I don't think are sealed very well.

I'm thinking if I brew a RIS, maybe Darkness-esque, any off flavors or twang will be hidden a little better. Although if I brew a RIS, I'll be disappointed if there's still that twang after 6 months of conditioning.

Anyone have suggestions?

Well,first off I'd def do late extract additions to lessen mailard reactions,so the flavor will stay cleaner. A brown ale would even be a good choice with the right steeping grains & hops.

Something that you wouldn't be too picky about if it doesn't come out exactly right. Is it really worth the effort, expense and time of an RIS to use ingredients that you think aren't up to par? Even if there is nothing wrong with the final brew you will be looking for problems with it.

Make a session ale and add most of the LME as a late addition. Something that you will probably enjoy but isn't such a time/expense investment that you would feel bad about dumping it if its bad.

This is a true RDWHAB moment. If you are the sort of person who is going to worry about it and be bugged by any perceived imperfections because of the LME then toss it, because you will find flaws whether they are really there or not. But if you have the mindset of "let's see what we get here" you will probably make something that you really like.

It's only 6-8 months old. I made one out of a 2 year old Cooper's OS lager can that came out good. See summer ale in my pics.

Thanks guys. I might still do the RIS because I haven't noticed the extract twang in any of my darker beers, but pretty much in every lighter batch, even with the late additions. I don't feel like it's any more effort, just more time which doesn't matter to me. Plus I'm optimistic about it!

Back