Best Strainer for 6 gallon bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gascityrecords

Reaction score
I have a rather large plastic funnel with a filter in the middle. I see these at most homebrew stores. It sits on the lip of the bucket and normally falls in due to the weight of the pour. This really sucks. What is the best strainer for a 6 gallon bucket? Something that firmly attaches to the the top of the bucket somehow?

What is the best strainer for a 6 gallon bucket?

IMHO gravity, haha somewhat serious but also kidding you a bit...I choose not to strain for several reasons and let gravity do it's magic.

If you want to strain, I have heard good things about this product from US Plastics

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=24071

Perhaps also try a forum search regarding which strainer is best, too fine a strainer will likely clog and be of no use.

I have also heard of people using the 5 gal paint strainer bags available at Home Depot, Lowes, etc.

I used to use a small kitchen strainer, about 8/9" in diameter. Would dump the clogs in the trash.

Then I went with no strain. I dump pretty much everything in the fermenter. It all falls out in the end, I have crystal clear bear and no off flavors.

Oh, I do actually use the strainer. I pump the cooled wort through it to oxygenate it while it goes in the fermenter. Doesn't clog either probably due to all the liquid

Txinga

I second the 5 gal paint strainers, so easy. They have an elastic band on the top, set it in, pour the wort, lift and drain

Have fun
Rick

Yea go to your local paint supply place and get a 5 gallon paint strainer. It sits on the bucket's rim won't slip in or off. Looks like this.

PaintStrainer.jpg

I use a mesh dome upside down that is usually used to cover a food plate to protect it from little critters... Perfect fit

Depends on the beer. Lagers get 2 strainers, a) 8 inch double mesh aluminum strainer first for the big stuff, followed by b) 5 gal paint strainer bag in the bucket. Ales usually only the aluminum strainer. I found for my Lagers the more I strained out the better beer I was making since Lagers don't hide any flaws.

Latest posts

Back