Best Source for SS Couplings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryanhope

Reaction score
Before I go and order any couplings for my new kettles I want to get some opinions on the best source. I know I have read some posts where people have mentioned that some of the couplings they have bought have not been very uniform on the outside making the dimpling process harder. Where do people recommend going for their couplings? BargainFittings, BrewHardware, BrewersHardware, StainlessBrewing, BuyFittingsOnline, McMaster, Grainger? I really don't want to be spending >=$5 a piece but I also don't want to waste money on unusable parts.

Chances are if you live in a decent sized city, like Albany you can get these parts locally for a reasonable price.

Call steel and plumbing supply places asking for the parts you need and after a few calls someone will give you a source for the parts you need. While you may not find all the specialty brewing parts, its nice to know you can run down and pick up another coupler if you are one short or return the extra pieces you have lying around when done.

I have 6 1/2" ss couplings...how's 2 bucks a piece sound and 5 for shipping? There all brand new.

Duh, of course you want to buy them from me :)

Here's the 1/2" full coupling.. OD measures 1.03" and verified that all of them are the same.

Full_Coupling_S3016CP_Big.jpg

The 1/4" half couplings measure .78" OD and also consistent.

Let me know if I can be anymore help. I recon they'll all fit into a flat rate box so shipping is $6.

The 1/4" half couplings measure .78" OD and also consistent.

Can the 1/4" couplings be successfully dimpled? Is there a DIY dimple tool design for 1/4"? I really like the mechanical security of the dimples over the welding spuds.

If you said you like the price of the half couplings better than the spuds, I'd concede. For strength? Spuds are probably twice as strong as a dimpled hole with a coupling. There's at least 4x the surface area for solder contact.

The way I'd make a dimpling tool for 1/4" NPT is to get an extra half coupling, thread a 1/4" nipple in and lock that into my drill chuck. Then run the corner against the grinding wheel to put a nice taper on it. Now you can pull that through a 5/8" hole. The trick is to find a larger fitting with something like a 7/8" ID for the backing die. I'd probably use a socket.

Back