best recipes from "Brewing Classic Styles"?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beernutz

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I got this book for Christmas and have made the exact Robust Porter recipe which was excellent and a close interpretation (because I didn't have the exact hops called for) of the American IPA recipe which also turned out great.

For those of you that have actually followed them, what are the best recipes in "Brewing Classic Styles"?

I really liked the traditional bock recipe, but it tastes more like commercial dopplebock to me.

It's good made the traditional home brew way, but it was phenomenal when made with the low oxygen process.

I've made these:

Black Scapular Dubbel (slight mod) - Came out excellent though I had to improvise some of the syrup and sugar

Pizza Boy Dark lager - Crowd pleaser, but might need a bit more hop for me

Who's your Taddy brown porter - quite nice and very drinkable

I made the Mild & it was very good & drinkable. Could maybe have used a little more 60L crystal.

The Irish Red is pretty solid, as are all the German lagers (Helles, Traditional Bock, Oktoberfest, Dunkel, Vienna Lager) I've brewed.

All the recipes are award winners, I thought. So "good" might be up to personal tastes.

Anyways, i liked Janet brown ale.

Thank you all for the suggestions. I was leaning towards brewing a Scottish ale but now I have more ideas to consider.

I picked up the book last week and am preparing to brew the saison from there. I am going to tweak it slightly by subbing 1lb of rye in place of pilsner malt, and possibly tweak the hops.

A heads up for anyone considering brewing the Irish Red Ale recipe is that Brewing Classic Styles was written in 2007 using the 2004 BJCP style guide and the 2015 BJCP style guide for this beer is dramatically different. For example the book and 2004 BJCP guide call for an OG range of 1.044 to 1.060 whereas the 2015 BJCP guide calls for OGs of between 1.036 to 1.046.

I've made probably 10 beers from that book, several multiple times. I've never been dissapointed, i've mostly used the belgian and german recipes.

I will second Janet's brown ale is a winner. Made that one 4 times now, with citra or centennial at flameout and dry hop with citra. It's a really good beer but I prefer it in the cold months.

I know I'm like the 5th person but the Janet's brown was excelent! Also made the Duseldorf Altbier, and the Belgian Tripel. Both excelent. I will say the Tripel was excelent fresh and even better after a year. I swapped out the keg and put it in the cool basement for an additional 9 months of aging. Wow! I think it might be the best beer I ever made!

Back