Best place to buy grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tdogtt10

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am trying to become as cost efficient as possible when I brew. I have started buying my hops in bulk and am on the edge of starting to culture yeast and so forth. Now I want to get a better deal on my grains so I ask you.... Where do you buy your grains? Can I get a better deal buying grains online than I do at my local LHBS? I am currently paying 1.50 per lb of 2row and 1.95 for every other grain. The LHBS is on my way home from work so the gas cost is not too much. I believe I will get a cheaper deal online however would be stuck paying shipping costs.

Recommendations??

Do they sell their grains in 50 pound bags? If so you can expect a 30%-50% savings. My LHBS sells me a 50 pound bag of 2 row for 35 and then for specialty it ranges from 45-65 for a 50/55 pound sack! Many LHBS are nice enough to crush the whole bag for you, but I would recommend getting a grain mill and crushing fresh every batch!

Online shipping it well...ouch!

I will have to look into if they will sell it in bulk at my lhbs. I imagine they must. Do you recommend a cost efficient grain mill?

I didn't know if there was any site that would have free shipping but understand that the weight per volume of grains would likely make it expensive and not have free shipping anywhere.

Thanks for your suggestions!

You can see if local homebrewers are organizing a group buy, direct from wholesaler. We even have a section on these forums for such things. You have to buy a pallet, but if you can split it with enough people, you can get grain for less than 75c per pound. I make most of my own specialty grains in my oven, which saves more money.

I use a corona mill, which works fine and costs about $30. It also gives me a workout when I hand-crank 12 lbs through it. I know nothing of the fancier mills, other than that they start at over $100, which is money I could use on 3 bags of grain.

Back