Best Pink Floyd Song

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
amen, brother

One of my greatest interests besides music is music reproduction and hifi and while I could talk about crest factors and RMS values, all-passed crest factors and what not, I'll just conclude that when basically anyone can clearly hear that the new "remastered" MJ song "Billie Jean", for example, is totally destroyed...through the mono speaker of an IPhone (and yes, I dare you to play the original in lousy, lossy mp3 and the new one in Apple Lossless), something is wrong. Very wrong (f**k, you really wind me up, here :tank:).

H

One of my favorite memories is lying on my back at Lake Ester way up in the Colorado Rockies far outside Leadville looking at billions of stars listening to Pink Floyd until I fell asleep. Not a drop of drug in my system, but I was flying.

Not only the playback, but the recording and the mastering has gone to hell in a handbasket as well.

Ahhh, a sole friend...

It's the mastering I'm talking about. WTF is up with that s**t? I love music. I love choise. I love beer :).

If we compare to beer, todays music mastring is much like preventing homebrewing. Todays music is like BMC -if you remove the alcohole. Remove *everything* and replace it with *water*. Bad water. And a foul smell...

I shouldn't but I will...:cool:... a friend of mine (a sound "scientist") has made a pretty neat software that can "visualize" mastring artifacts. It's still under development but since I've been playing around with it for a while now...

This is "Hey You" (from my 1994 CD remaster):
p1069907374.gif

Contemporary U2 (or any other conteporary release :():
p290935963.gif

The important things to notice is the "histogram". Peaks at "bottom out levels" like for "U2" equals severe distortion, compression and leveling. SEVERE!

Histogram "PF" is textbook. As is crest factor and all-passed crest factor (close to the level of non all-passed).

This is of course all clearly audible with your crappy cellphone mp3 player. Yes it is. Really.

H

And...*drumroll*...this distorted, extraoridnarilly ear-damaging ´s**t for a sound is what you let your kids listen to in their IPods and IPhones. But shure, if you want to damage your kid's ears with this s***t...don't blame me.

H

Ah, more audiophiles! :tank:

They do this to their products, cripple it with DRM, charge extra, and then blame the internet for declining sales. :confused:

And...*drumroll*...this distorted, extraoridnarilly ear-damaging ´s**t for a sound is what you let your kids listen to in their IPods and IPhones. But shure, if you want to damage your kid's ears with this s***t...don't blame me.

H

Bastards!!! I've just wasted (Not actually wasted) perfectly good working time (losing money) listening to all kinds of PF stuff!

I've just ordered a DVD of Walters Wall live at Berlin, the best concert I've ever not seen live.

It's all your fault you bastards!!!!

PS....Thanks bastards!!! I just filled a hole in my life! :D

Roger Waters live at the Berlin Wall is incredible, you will definitely enjoy it. Sinead O'Connor sings mother, phenomenal.

My favorite album would have to be meddle, or atom heart mother. Fearless is probably my favorite song of all time!

The early stuff, Piper at the Gates of Dawn and such, when Syd was still playing is very good, but I only listen to it very occasionally.

Roger Waters live at the Berlin Wall is incredible, you will definitely enjoy it. Sinead O'Connor sings mother, phenomenal.

I saw it live on TV in England when it aired and I was blown away. It was only seeing bits of it on youtube that reminded me that I can actually OWN it today and not just in my memory! :D

One of the best memories I have (and I'm really more of a Dave fan than a Roger fan), was seeing Roger Waters at Earl's Court a few years ago. It just doesn't get much better than that. (Okay, well, it would have been better if it was Floyd and not just Roger :) )

Best PK song? To answer this question, we would need one of those supercomputers and a few years to wait for the answer.

...but then we could only get an answer like "42"

So long and thanks for all the fish

If you're interested, I know this great Restaurant at the End of the Universe...

I gotta be honest, Pink Floyd is one of those bands I could never get into. I am a huge music buff, and listen to everything from rock to jazz to blues, to hip hop, to classical, to whatever.

For whatver reason Pink Floyd (and Rush for that matter) is a band that I think I am suppossed to like but don't much.

I hope that doesn't make me a bad person :)

I'm at least tied as the world's biggest Floyd fan...and I could only watch The Wall, the movie one time all the way through. It disturbs me.

I gotta be honest, Pink Floyd is one of those bands I could never get into. I am a huge music buff, and listen to everything from rock to jazz to blues, to hip hop, to classical, to whatever.

For whatver reason Pink Floyd (and Rush for that matter) is a band that I think I am suppossed to like but don't much.

I hope that doesn't make me a bad person :)

I never got into PF that much growing up. But in the last year or so I have re-experienced their stuff and am blown away.

Rush, not so much...

I saw Roger a few years ago in Omaha Nebraska and it was the BEST show I have ever gone too. I still have pics on my phone of them on stage and the flying pig. It got better when I saw them on TV all together doing that Live 8 show or something on MTV.

Too much there to actually decide on, but if I really had to pick I guess it would have to be Comfortably Numb, or Echos or Breathe or.....

Closest I have gotten to seeing them was the Australian Pink Floyd Show that played here 4 or 5 years ago. Awesome show.

My favorite band bar none, and as far as I know, have every album they produced.

Years ago in a time far far away... I wore out that many Dark Side Of The Moon 8 track tapes, that I eventually bought the record and recorded my own 8 track tapes.
I used to drive my wife nuts listening to Several Species.....

Years ago in a time far far away... I wore out that many Dark Side Of The Moon 8 track tapes, that I eventually bought the record and recorded my own 8 track tapes.
So...when you're listening to DSOTM...do you still expect to hear the song fade out, then a "kachunk", then fade back in?:D

To this day I still do that for every record I had on 8-track.

I will base this on the fact that anytime I hear this PF song pop up on the radio.. i have to turn it up and listen.

Us and Them.

The Dream Theater version is pretty good as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is easy. "Wish You Were Here". It's the only really good Pink Floyd song.

And did they get you to trade ... Cold comfort for change?

No. No, they did not.

Easy. It's Fearless... or Learning to Fly... or On the Turning Away... or anything off Wish You Were Here... or anything off Dark Side... or maybe Comfortably Numb. Actually off The Wall, I really like Waiting For the Worms, or Mother, or Young Lust. Vera and Bring The Boys Back Home are really cool when you listen to the whole album straight through. They just stand out. I like The Trial too. There's some good stuff on the Division Bell. Not Now John was a cool tune... Maybe it's not an easy question?:confused:

I didn't read this whole thread, so maybe somebody already put this out there, but here's a cool site that has the complete discography for PF, lyrics, trivia and all. Enjoy!:rockin:

http://http://www.pinkfloyd-co.com/disco/disc_idx.html

Wow! Lots of good input here.. I really enjoy ALL PF music. I saw them live in 1991 (i think) in Minneapolis and was completely blown away.

Why is it then that although I love all of their music, I am completely blown away by "Wish you were here?" They all get turned up, but this one is on the MP3 player and on the disks in both cars...

Years since I listened but Dogs, The Trial and Waiting for the Worms were old favourites.

Many, many good ones, despite the tendency towards self indulgence sometimes.

Special vote also goes to Careful with that Axe, Eugene.

Easy. It's Fearless... or Learning to Fly... or On the Turning Away... or anything off Wish You Were Here... or anything off Dark Side... or maybe Comfortably Numb. Actually off The Wall, I really like Waiting For the Worms, or Mother, or Young Lust. Vera and Bring The Boys Back Home are really cool when you listen to the whole album straight through. They just stand out. I like The Trial too. There's some good stuff on the Division Bell. Not Now John was a cool tune... Maybe it's not an easy question?:confused:

I didn't read this whole thread, so maybe somebody already put this out there, but here's a cool site that has the complete discography for PF, lyrics, trivia and all. Enjoy!:rockin:

http://http://www.pinkfloyd-co.com/disco/disc_idx.html

Maybe this one works.
http://www.pinkfloyd-co.com/disco/disc_idx.html

For me, it's "One Slip" from the album "A Momentary Lapse Of Reason".

"One slip, and down the hole we fall
It seems to take no time at all
A momentary lapse of reason
That binds a life for life
A small regret, you won't forget,
There'll be no sleep in here tonight"

Pretty much tells the story of my son's life. His life, not mine...

Back