Best pale base malt for 'malty' beers I can SMaSH with?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlapjackAM

Reaction score
Hello everyone. It's been awhile. I haven't brewed since my son was born almost a year ago, and now that I'm deployed it will be even longer. Needless to say, I've had a lot of time to think about what I want to do when I get home in a few months. I wanted to run it by you guys because I've had ideas that seemed logical to me before that turned out not to work.

Basically, I'll be doing my first all grain batch, BIAB, and SMaSH. My question: is there a single pale malt, or maybe two for comparison, that I can eventually use as a base for several malty beers like scotch ales, browns, porters, etc. that also has enough flavor to stand on its own, or is that asking too much?

I want to learn the scales before I try to play Hendrix, as it were, so my plan is to use a single base malt as a controlled variable that I can use to dial in my new system, work out the efficiency, mash temperature, volumes, and other calculations and achieve a decent level of consistency. Then I want to rotate different yeasts and hops appropriate to the abovementioned styles until something stands out to me, and finally add the specialty grains and proportions necessary to create the various styles. I want a building block approach so I know how I got to the finished product.

Like I said I've had a lot of time to think and no time to do, so I'm excited to get back into it. It all boils down to 1) Does that ramble sound like a feasible plan, or am I trying to work backwards and 2) having no experience myself, are there any recommendations for a base grain to use as my controlled variable? Any other tips or recommendations are welcome.

:mug:

I'd start with 2 row. that and MO are the two base malts I use for ales. Then play with hops. I have done 2 row and MO SMASH brews with Amarillo, Citra, and the three C's with great results. Simple hop additions. Easy drinking and simple.

Awesome. I was thinking MO. I realize there's a myriad of options for each style. So that will work as a base for all the styles I mentioned? Maris is an English 2 row right? So maybe try an American 2 row for comparison?

Thanks much. I can't wait to buy my new equipment and have a brew day. Over a year is a terribly long time to wait!

I use briess pale ale malt in my house IPA and It's always a hit. It started out as a smash with the pale malt and columbus hops, but I have switched to bravo for bittering now since it's not quite as harsh as the columbus. The pale malt gives you a little extra color and a pleasant, fresh malty slight sweetness. The maris otter is more biscuity and nutty, but thats not a bad thing necessarily.

I've done a SMaSH Saison using Maris Otter and Saaz hops, with a Belgian Saison yeast. It came out quite good.

Maris Otter is more of an English Pale Ale Malt - if you wanted to compare it to an American "equivalent", I'd go with American Pale Ale Malt, rather than straight up American 2-Row. But reading your original post screamed Maris Otter to me as a starting point too. Definitely a great base malt for most of the styles you're talking about. I try to keep a bunch of base malts on hand for whenever I feel like brewing - I have 2-row, Pale Ale, and Marris Otter as my mainstays, but I think I'm going to actually start just keeping Marris and Pale Ale on hand, because I rarely ever use straight 2-row anymore...

Munich malt is a great "malty" malt, especially for a rich German flavor that screams "MALT". Vienna malt is also a richer, maltier malt, but not as much so as Munich malt. One of my favorite simple beers is a Vienna lager- 100% Vienna malt for the base.

For the styles that you said you would be brewing M.O. will make better tasting beers. American 2-row wont have that `malty` flavor you seek. Try doing a SMASH brew with M.O. and then do the same recipe swapping out the M.O. for American 2-row and you'll taste the difference. If you're like me and like the malt forward brews you'll probably not want to use the 2 row again and just use M.O. for everything. :p
Happy brewing.

Back