Best non-AB-Inbev owned beer store?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mscroggi

Reaction score
I have recently re-entered the homebrew game after a long absence. I have been searching around for a good source for supplies. I cannot in good conscience give any business to the homebrew chains owned by Beer Voltron (Midwest Supply, Northern Brewer).

Can anyone give recommendations on a good site?

Thanks!

I have recently re-entered the homebrew game after a long absence. I have been searching around for a good source for supplies. I cannot in good conscience give any business to the homebrew chains owned by Beer Voltron (Midwest Supply, Northern Brewer).

Can anyone give recommendations on a good site?

Thanks!

Out of curiosity. And if you don’t mind answering, why not do business with these companies?

Out of curiosity. And if you don’t mind answering, why not do business with these companies?

AB-Inbev (Beer Voltron) has a long history of trying to crush the craft brew market. It wasn't that long ago when the US was down to ~150 breweries. We have fought back and now have over 7000 open or planned breweries in the US.

AB-Inbev owns over 400 brands, and with their deep pockets and shameful corporate tactics are trying to force out the craft brewer while covertly gaining ownership of many of the more successful brands. And along the way they bought the biggest home brew supply company - Midwest Supply and Northern Brewer.

Google AB-Inbev craft beer. There are many reasons not to support Beer Voltron.

http://www.master-minds.net/brewerylist/fake_beers.html
http://www.americancraftbeer.com/ni...s-pete-coors-open-letter-brewers-association/

I mostly switched from ordering online at NB to morebeer. I've tried to buy from my LHBS as much as I can as well.

I use Farmhouse Brewing Supply for most of my grain and hops.
BrewHardware for most of my hardware.
And I search multiple sites for anything else. I use the cart and shipping to decide which to buy from.
And of course the LHBS. The close one here is not so good. I really like the one a couple towns away but don't get there often.

RiteBrew, MoreBeer, AustinHomeBrew, BrewHardware to name a few. There are tons of great companies online. Google will usually uncover these for you. Local ones are always good, and I always get my liquid yeast locally.

Be careful taking such a stance on one company without evaluating yourself and the other companies, who have similar business models, that you unknowingly support. I certainly hope you weren't drinking a Starbucks while typing this post on your Iphone...

Cheers!

Back