Best method to bottle Still beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

isomerization

Reaction score
Straight forward question. What is the best way to bottle beer with minimal carbonation (unblended lambic) while avoiding too much oxygen in the bottle?

I will be using a mix of capped 12 oz bottles and cage/corked Belgian bottles (no preference of ratio of the two).

Standard stuff:
Purge bottle headspace with CO2 if possible.
Reduce bottle headspace.
Use oxygen-absorbing caps (activate after capping).

Consider priming the corked bottles slightly higher because the cork very slowly releases pressure.

Consider waxing or foil enclosures to keep out oxygen.

I was thinking of priming to say 1 vol CO2, but wasn’t sure if I should reduce head space or do something else I had considered. Thanks!

You might consider priming a little higher, like 1.3-1.4 vol. It should be barely noticable at this level (if at all) but still positively impact the mouth feel.
Also FYI: Assuming it's been aging a while, a priming calculator will underestimate the residual carbonation level, so you'll need to adjust upwards a little bit.

Reducing bottle headspace is definitely the easiest way to keep O2 out of the bottles.

Left: reduced headspace. Right: standard headspace.
20190418_002333.jpg

You do need a little space, otherwise thermal expansion could potentially create bombs if the bottles get too warm.

I forgot to mention besides gentle transfers (I think that goes without saying), using a physical barrier to reduce oxygen exposure during bottling can be mildly helpful...
I use a plastic plate that floats in my bottling bucket:
20190313_033556.jpg

By reducing exposed surface area, it reduces O2 diffusion into the beer while transferring and bottling.

Cheers

Back