Best means to soak off bottle labels?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ccaissie

Reaction score
Another newbie question...best way to soak off labels? Some seem pretty tough and won't easily come off.

Long soak?
Water and soap?
Concentrated Nitric Acid?

Never had much luck with any of the "easy tricks" I'd seen posted on YouTube etc. to remove labels. It seemed to be a lot of extra steps, with still the same sticky gunk left afterwards. As a result, I use a retractable, flat razor to scrape off labels. For safety, I wear thick gloves, and put the bottle standing up on a non-skid surface. Then, I scrape downwards from the top to remove the label in strips. If there's any sticky residue left, I remove it with Goo Gone and a sponge.

If there's another method that actually works, I'm all ears.

I used the oven method which works well for most bottles. Preserves the labels well, too, if you want to use them for some crafty project. 350 degrees for 5 min.

I used the oven method which works well for most bottles. Preserves the labels well, too, if you want to use them for some crafty project. 350 degrees for 5 min.
This completely depends on the kind of label and adhesive used to keep them on the bottles. If they are the thin, papery labels held on by a water based, thin adhesive, this method can work out pretty well. If they are anything else, it can solidify the adhesive. Also, even at low temperature and time, a few of the bottles I tried with this method had their labels char black. Do not leave anything unattended in your oven! De-label safely.

Oxi and very hot water soak. cleans inside and out. I have noticed over the years that some labels come right off. Others not so much.

I've used the following procedure for years. Works perfectly. The key is to take most of it off with a metal scraper, then follow with one of those stainless steel scrubbies. Some of them do fall (or peel) right off, but most require the scraping. If it takes more than 10 seconds, I toss the bottle, but that's rare.
  1. Use a box cutter to slice/remove foil from neck (easier/safer to do this while they are dry).
  2. Overnight soak in Oxyclean. I use a large plastic garbage can.
  3. Attempt to peel label off whole (1/10 this works).
  4. Scrape with metal paint scraper.
  5. Remove any remnants of label or glue with stainless steel scrubby.

I use lye
Labels are generally made with food grade starch glue so the lye eats it right up.
Use gloves and dont splash it lol

I wish I'd taken a picture of my de-labeling this morning. I had a case of Schell's (local brewery) bottles, and those labels consistently come off in one nice convenient piece after about 5 minutes soaking in some PBW. Quick scrub the glue off with a green pad and its ready for bottling day after a good rinse.

I just soak them in hot water for a few minutes then peel off what will peel. After that I use a scouring pad to get the residue off. Some labels are a lot tougher than others. Fat Tire is pretty easy to get off, Angry Orchard very easy, so I use a lot of those bottles.

+1 PBW. I found it works really good for most. For some reason Sierra Nevada and Newcastle labels are really stubborn. They are the only 2 that didn’t fall off quickly in PBW. Most labels fall off intact in a PBW soak and I have been collecting one of each and sticking them to the side of my beer fridge. I used to use bleach water with good results too.

Last edited:
+1 on the hot OxyClean soak. I use the cheap orange or blue stuff from Dollar Tree most of the time. I blast out each bottle with a garden hose to rinse it twice after getting the label off. Never had a residue or flavor problem. Most of the time I don’t have to scrub. Sam Adams, Schell, and Boulevard bottles never give me trouble. Trader Joe’s bottles, though, leave some adhesive that I scrub off. Some brands just stay on and you’d have to use a razor, but I just don’t bother to save those.

I have no problem getting the labels off, it's the sticky glue residue. I use a steel pot scrubber and rubbing alcohol. Or, leave the bottle sticky and you won't have to worry about a bottle slipping through your fingers.

I use a long soak in bleach water, usually overnight. Most labels slide off. Then a plastic razor blade to scrape off their glue. Some are definitely easier than others. If they're stubborn I soak longer.

All of the above - and some of them just won't come off no matter what you do, at least the glue residue. Which sucks if you really liked that particular bottle! I've resorted to Goo Gone and the pot scrubber as a last resort, and some bottles have gone back to the recycling depot.

All of the above - and some of them just won't come off no matter what you do, at least the glue residue. Which sucks if you really liked that particular bottle! I've resorted to Goo Gone and the pot scrubber as a last resort, and some bottles have gone back to the recycling depot.
Goo Gone is pretty expensive; charcoal lighter fluid works almost as well. But for the most part I just soak the bottles in a bucket of soapy water for a day or two and the labels come right off, then give them a light scrub with a wad of plastic netting material to get the residue off. Unless they are foil labels; those usually go straight to the recycling.

Well the thing is, if you collect used wine bottles that originally had corks, from recycling or restaurants or ones you bought at the wine store or whatever, you're getting bottles from all over the world. Some have the labels that slide off nicely with a bit of a soak, and some have labels that are pretty much welded on - goodness knows what they use for glue, but some of them seem to be impervious to any solvent or removal method!

Never had much luck with any of the "easy tricks" I'd seen posted on YouTube etc. to remove labels. It seemed to be a lot of extra steps, with still the same sticky gunk left afterwards. As a result, I use a retractable, flat razor to scrape off labels. For safety, I wear thick gloves, and put the bottle standing up on a non-skid surface. Then, I scrape downwards from the top to remove the label in strips. If there's any sticky residue left, I remove it with Goo Gone and a sponge.

If there's another method that actually works, I'm all ears.
We may be identical twins, lol!

Soak overnight with dish soap and hot water then hit the leftover glue with goo gone works well for me.

A few days soak in a tub/tote with (initially warm) water and a powdered (clothes) washing detergent, such as Surf. But pretty much any detergent will do.
Some will float off within a day, most after 2 or 3 days. Those that are stubborn, either toss, or let soak a few more days.

Use a stiff hand brush to remove any remaining film of clinging glue or residue. Use a bottle brush on the inside.

Rinse inside and outside well (e.g., Jet Spray washer on faucet) with hot water. Inspect inside and outside thoroughly.
Then sanitize (Starsan) and they're ready to fill.

I always save my own previously cleaned bottles as much as possible. I know their whereabouts and when rinsed out and/or soaked right after pouring out, it saves time on the next cleaning.

Isn’t that a strong smelling solvent? Or do I have my wires crossed?
Yes, it's a hideously smelling solvent, that lingers forever.
Most labels are glued with a water soluble glue (some bottlers even use milk).
If it needs an organic solvent maybe let those bottles be. Over the years I've only found a few breweries using non-water soluble labels, and that was over 7 years ago before I started kegging routinely.

Yes, it's a hideously smelling solvent, that lingers forever.
Most labels are glued with a water soluble glue (some bottlers even use milk).
If it needs an organic solvent maybe let those bottles be. Over the years I've only found a few breweries using non-water soluble labels, and that was over 7 years ago before I started kegging routinely.
Thank you so much! I think I will stick to water soluble labels and adhesives.

As you've already read in the thread, I, like others, use unscented oxyclean in a full tub (just enough to make the water "slippery"). Don't use too much or it will leave a film on the bottles. I leave the bottles overnight and the labels peel off nicely. For the few stubborn labels that leave a glue residue, I use a scotch guard sponge to scrape off whatever remains. I then give each bottle a good rinse and put them in the dish washer for good measure.

I only perform this process on bottles with commercial labels. On my home brews, I only put a label on the cap, so no need for all this effort. Hope this helps!

As a side note, there is usually a huge difference in wine bottle labels, and beer bottle labels.

It sounds like some folks in this thread are talking about beer bottles.

I’ve had really good luck with hot tap water inside the bottle and letting it sit for about 5min. Then pick at a corner and pull gently. It seems to heat the glue and make it playable. Any residue I use a “magic eraser” and water. Sometimes a sharp knife to scrape the bottle for those stubborn ones. Works for me. 😬
I saved a few lock top bottles this way.
Good luck!

As a side note, there is usually a huge difference in wine bottle labels, and beer bottle labels.

It sounds like some folks in this thread are talking about beer bottles.

Absolutely. (I know I was) For wine bottle labels, I generally scrape them off with a single-edged razor. Soaking or hot water is always worth a try.

Soak in hot tap water with some baking soda. After an hour everything slides off with possibly some of the more stubborn glue residue wiped away with a sponge. Save your PBW for brew day cleanup.

Soak in hot tap water with some baking soda. After an hour everything slides off with possibly some of the more stubborn glue residue wiped away with a sponge. Save your PBW for brew day cleanup.
Rough amounts of baking soda and water that you use? I am very willing to give it an economical shot. Thanks! :cool:

Rough amounts of baking soda and water that you use? I am very willing to give it an economical shot. Thanks! :cool:
I usually fill my sink up to just cover the bottles, so it's hard to estimate the amount of water. But a tablespoon per gallon is probably a good place to start.

I soak my bottles in PBW and warm water over night and the labels spray off with a hose with no effort

In case other folks (like me) don't know what PBW is, it's Powdered Brewery Wash:

Powdered Brewery Wash

A couple posts referred to it, and I wasn't sure if it was Pabst Blue Water (you know, the "beer"), or something else. 🤣

Lazy route: buy some guinness 11.2 oz bottles that come plastic-wrapped. enjoy the guinness, peel off the plastic and you have a perfectly glue-free bottle perfect for homebrew.

the labels on German 11.2 oz bottles soak loose really easy, and the glue turns to mush that wipes off. Hofbrauhaus, Paulaner, and Hacker Pshorr. I don't know about the others. I'm keeping all my HB and HP bottles this year, and recycling the Paulaners because they have their name stamped in the glass, but they are good bottles too if you don't care about that.

Back