Best malt for a SMaSH IPA? Help a noob

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bamcisman

Reaction score
So i wanna do a smash ipa. One of my favorite beers is a smash with pilsner and mosaic (Yellow Rose). I'm a beginner, and have had some alcohol heat in my first two brews ( i think it's bc i fermented too warm, but who knows?) But i now have a mini fridge with an STC1000 and want to have a simple recipe and hopefully make a beer i can enjoy. Help a noob out! Thoughts?

Have a go playing with your mash temps/times to see if you can improve on what you have already made would be my suggestion.

One of my favorites is Maris Otter and Simco. I'm still tweaking my recipe but it turns out great every time. I like German Pilsner too but love Maris Otter! About 14 lbs of M.O. mashed at 154F. Simco 1oz at 60min and 20 min. Then 2oz at flame out. Then 1 / 2oz dry hop depending on your taste. And I use WLP001 US05 or Nottingham for yeast. All have worked for me. At least that's my favorite for a smash IPA. Good luck!

Marris otter and nelson. Good stuff. Also made golden promise and styrian goldings with US-05 and again with t-58 and both were awesome, though not in the ipa range

Another vote for Maris Otter. It has a soft nutty flavor that regular 2-row doesn't have. Maybe paired with Amarillo?

I just did 3 SMaSHes, Maris Otter and Calypso, Citra, and Deltla. By far the best would be the Calypso followed by the Citra. Delta is also very good, but a bit earthy for a SMaSH.

Back