best free download brewing program

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elmwood

Reaction score
I was wondering what is the best free brewing program? since there is so much open-source software available, i assume there is a free, sophisticated home brewing program online.

lots of the pay packages have free trials that will make you realize the $20 or so purcahse price is cheap for everything it does.

lots of the pay packages have free trials that will make you realize the $20 or so purcahse price is cheap for everything it does.
$20 isn't that much but if i can download a Linux operating system with open office for free, i think there should be available solid free home brewing software. especially considering home brewing is very much a DIY hobby.

There are a few websites that you could use, or you could make your own spreadsheet. Brewmasters Warehouse is cool because you can build a recipe on the site and all you have to do is checkout and everything is already in your shopping cart, and he's a member of the forum.

That said, I use Beersmith, best $20 I have spent on brewing.

I wish I could say brewing has been a DIY hobby. I've read a lot of books, and used forums during almost every step of every batch, and I sure didn't write any of the books. One day, I'll know enough where I won't need help, but for now, I'm glad the help is out there. As for software, I'm sure you already know that most Linux programs aren't as feature rich as ones you have to pay for. 20 isn't a lot to pay for what, say beersmith, can do, but as fate would have it, I'm booted into my Linux partition as we speak looking for a free program. I don't really get Linux, and probably won't even be able to install something if I find it, but I'm learning.

+1 on Beersmith. Free trial, only $20 to own. Just fooling around with the software has taught me more that any other twenty I've thrown at this hobby...
Oops! It looks like it's time to man-up and become a premium member here!

I usually use qbrew in in linux. Like others have mentioned, ut is much less feature rich. In a lot of cases, I prefer a simpler interface with only the essential features. Qbrew could use a little more, but it works for most of what I do. I keep meaning to try out brewtarget, I hear good things.

I usually use qbrew in in linux. Like others have mentioned, ut is much less feature rich. In a lot of cases, I prefer a simpler interface with only the essential features. Qbrew could use a little more, but it works for most of what I do. I keep meaning to try out brewtarget, I hear good things.

The author has a thread running here at HBT. Very nice to be able to request features so easily, etc....

Back