best fermentor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alex510

Reaction score
I am putting together my brew set-up. And I have narrowed it down to fasrfermenror or a speidel fermentor. I brew 5 gallons at a time 2 times a year.

I was wondering what would be a good pick. thank you in advance.

I'm guessing that's fast fermenter. I have the 7.9 gallon one. It was my very 1st fv I bought. I've never had the Speidel so I can't say . I can only tell you pros and cons of the FF.

Pros - good size , perfect for 5 to 6.5 gallon batches. Has the collection ball so you can dump yeast if you'd like . The lid opening is big and makes it easy to add fruit , wood cubes , hops ect.... and makes it easier to clean. It's solid and has the jacket you can use that works pretty good.

Cons - Bulky and oddly shaped to carry. It won't stand on its own so you have to lug the rack with it from point A to point B. The lid can be a booger to close right , it doesn't come with a spigot . I added one later which is a must. The transfer hose at the bottom is big , too big imo. With the valve and the collection ball at the bottom you have parts that have potential to leak . I never did but others have had issues. I've learned that I hate brewing anything with fruit in it. The conical bottom make the fruit drop and plug up the spigot area. When making sours with Blueberries I use regular carboy because the fruit spreads out nicely and doesn't compact itself too much.

I know there's probably more that I'm forgetting. I don't use it much but when I do it works . If your wanting to stay plastic and you only brew twice a year I'd probably stick to buckets . You can buy a bucket for 5$ add a spigot for 3$ drill your hole for an airlock and your done.

Thank you so much. All good points.
I only do brew
IMG_20211223_104543431_HDR.jpg
twice a year so maybe buckets is the way to go. I'm not in a rush to brew so I will wait to see if someone tries to end for the Spiegel.

I have Spiedel fermentors (30L & 60L) and recommend it. It has molded handles that can support the weight of a full fermentor and an oversize airlock. The lid openings are large so cleaning is easy. Replacement parts are also available at resonable costs.

Since I do have any experience with the fast fermenter I cannont comment.

I have 2 of the fast ferment and have not had any issues that others have had. I also built a stand on casters for it so it is easy to move around especially during winter months when the temperatures are below fermentation temperatures in my garage and it needs to be moved to my boiler room. I think as longs as you are careful and don't use anything abrasive to clean them you will have no issues. The conical is definitely a huge improvement over buckets IMO.

Back