Best Equipment for new brewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A few more (I'm on a roll this morning)

Take good notes of each brew. If the beer turns our great, you can review what you did to repeat it next time.

If it doesn't turn out well, you have notes to help troubleshoot. Don't be discouraged, most of us have made a dumper batch or two. Start a thread here, describe what you did, maybe we can help you find the root of the problem.

Buy fresh ingredients. I don't recall if you said you would be brewing with extract, or all grain. Either way, fresh ingredients can make for better beer. If your LHBS looks like things have been on the shelves a while, buy ingredients online. The big brew stores sell a LOT, and turnover is fast.

Storage. If you're not going to brew right away, store ingredients properly. Keep hops sealed in their original packaging and store in the freezer. Yeast and LME in the fridge. Grains in an airtight container in a cool, dry place.

when you do brew, make sure before you even start that you have everything in front of you. set aside the whole day. ive got my sessions down to 6 hrs from a pot of cold strike water to a chilled wort in the fermenter and equipment put away. longer if i do a more complicated step mash.

US-05 is a popular yeast often found in kits and your basement fits near the top of the ideal range I think, I would have to check, but I have used it successfully in a 70 degree house and the first two in a 73 degree house, with good results.
FYI, Fermentis updated the specs on US-05 a few years back. The recommended temp range is 64-82 now.

Wow ! You guys have been amazingly helpful. I’ve learned so much from this thread :). Thank you !
If y’all don’t mind - I’d love to keep picking your brains and experience …
Are there any little tips and tricks to do or avoid ? Adding yeast nutrients to the fermenter or using a flocculant like whirlfloc ? I plan on washing and sanitizing everything 3 times !

I Don't use either addition. Not really needed. For myself, not needed at all.

One thing that I personally find indispensable is a grain mill. The Corona mill is a classic and is cheaper then roller type crushers.
https://www.amazon.com/Corona-Corn-..._1?keywords=corona+mill&qid=1636465265&sr=8-1There are Chinese knockoffs that are pretty much as good. Be careful about bolting it down. The cast iron "feet" are easily cracked if you apply too much torque to the bolts. Grain stores better when you buy it whole, and grind it as you need it. If you buy a batch worth at a time you can just order it already milled but sometimes buying in quantity saves a lot of money. I buy most of my malt from MoreBeer and they have pretty good prices and FREE SHIPPING on orders over $59 I think it is. Buy 10 5 lb bags of your base malt and whatever specialty malts will make a whole number of batches, and you will be way over the free shipping threshhold.

IF you will make a starter, always make slightly more wort than needed, and reserve a quart or so for the next batch's starter. If you have a pressure cooker you can can it in a quart mason jar and store it at room temp. Otherwise you can keep it in the fridge, if the jar is sterilized and you collect it after it has boiled, and it should keep for quite a long time, a month easy. Cover it or put the jar in a box. Check it once a week for signs of infection. Maybe you could freeze it in a heavy duty zip lock. A mason jar would probably break. A tupperware might work. Anyway simply saving wort for the same recipe that you will be making, gives you an ideal starter base. Bring it up (or down) to the yeast's pitching temp and pitch a pack, or else a scoop of reasonably fresh trub from your fermenter and next day you have a starter that is ready to rock and roll. That's my big trick though to be honest I usually just sprinkle one pack of dry yeast on the wort in the fermenter and close it up, or pour fresh wort right on the trub of a just emptied fermenter. Be advised, if you do the latter there is an elevated risk of infection, especially if you allow air into the fermenter as you empty it. More on that below. Also you then have a double thick trub layer which can build up higher than your spigot. To fight that, I just tilt the fermenter back about 10 or 12 degrees, or transfer to a PURGED secondary after the initial heavy fermentation action.

One nice thing about kegging is the CO2 is also handy for purging containers such as kegs, fermenters, and bottles. Oxygen is not a good thing to allow in contact with your beer, with the possible exception of just before or jsut after pitching yeast. Most transfers, such as transfer to secondary, (normally not required except for lagers but sometimes indicated if you want to use the spigot instead of siphoning) or transfer to keg, can be done with a closed loop. Container A has the beer in it and is higher than empty container B. Beer runs from spigot through sanitized tubing into container B through a stopper hole or a beer post. CO2 displaced by the beer coming in to container B passes through tubing to the stopper of container A to fill the vacuum left by the beer exiting through the spigot. Air never comes in contact with the beer.

Purging a keg is simple. Clean it good, add an ounce of star san and fill up with water, then put the lid on. Sit down. Lay the keg across your knee and tilt it back and forth to slosh it around good. Open the lid and fill all the way to the top.with water and put the lid back on. Let it stand an hour or overnight whatever. Then hook up the gas line to the keg and connect just a beer connector to the beer post. Open the regulator up to about 2 psi. There is no air in the keg because it was displaced by the star san solution. Now you are displacing the solution with CO2. End result is a perfectly purged keg. Remove the beer line connector from the beer post and pressurize to about 10psi, then close the valve on the CO2 tank and disconnect the gas line. There. Perfectly purged keg, sanitized, with enough pressure that no air can get sucked in. Relieve the pressure before doing a closed loop transfer.

A beer gun is nice for bottling but you can get by without it. Still a good idea to give each bottle a shot of CO2 immediately before filling. maybe doing a six pack at a time. Don't forget to sanitize bottles and caps. Place a cap immediately after filling. Crimp the caps on with your capper in batches of maybe a half dozen.

A large washtub is handy when bottling. Do all the filling in the washtub. You WILL make a big mess your first time bottling. It is a law of physics.

Make sure fermentation is complete before bottling. Otherwise the normal amount of priming sugar will actually be too much. There are two approaches to priming. Transfer beer to a bottling bucket, and add priming sugar in sterile solution to the beer and mix gently (to not oxygenate) and then bottle. Or add a measured amount of sugar to each bottle, and bottle straight from the fermenter. There are pros and cons to both. Plenty of time to read up on all that while beer is fermenting.

Everything that touches beer after the boil needs to be very clean and sanitized. Before the boil, just basic kitchen food prep level cleanliness is fine.

If you ferment in a bucket, make sure you have a good seal with the lid! Otherwise, air WILL get in after fermentation slows to a crawl, and possibly infect or oxidize your beer.

Take your time. No rush. If you aren't sure fermentation is finished, leave it another week. Or two. Generally it won't hurt a thing if you took all standard precautions. When bottle conditioning, likewise don't be in a hurry. Let it work a month or so, then refrigerate for a week or two before drinking the first one. Leave it in the fridge for a month and you can then consider it ready for general consumption or long term storage. The initial month at room temp gives the yeast time to build up the proper level of CO2 pressure. Then the refrigeration puts the yeast to sleep and settles it out, and more time will allow the sediment to firm up a bit so you can get a full pour without sediment in the glass, or even drink straight from the bottle if you are gentle with it.

Immediately after emptying a bottle, give it a thorough rinse and leave it full of water until you have time to clean it properly. Use a bottle brush. Dishwasher is okay, use soap and drying agent for first pass through dishwasher, then no soap at all for a second pass, including hot air drying. Store neck down in a bottle crate or rack. Before bottling you can sanitize with hot water or with a star san solution. Drain in bottle rack. You can wipe the mouths of the bottles with paper towel soaked with everclear. Caps should be hot water sanitized immediately before bottling and kept in a weak star san solution.

StarSan, properly mixed, is non toxic and a little residue won't hurt your beer. Don't mix it too strong, and drain it well, and you are good. A tiny bit of foam or a bubble or two won't hurt anything.

Again, while fermenting, do some reading on both types of packaging, bottle and keg. Mentally run through the process. Do a dry run, make sure you will have everything you need for a successful final transfer and conditioning. You can put a lot of money and work into making a batch of beer, and then mess it up at the end, when kegging or bottling, or storing.

Anything you haven't read about up til now in this thread that you read about between now and first brew day, is probably not needed at all. Don't keep looking for more stuff to buy. Save your money for ingredients, for now. Next batch, consider buying a second keg and a backup CO2 tank. Usually you will do an exchange so don't necessarily buy a brand new one. If you will only be bottling, maybe get an extra case of bottles if you haven't scrounged enough to keep two batches in the pipeline. And if your first batch was fermented in a bucket, I would urge you to upgrade to a better fermenter at this time. If you start with a BMB or Fermonster or similar, consider getting a second unit.

Scrounged bottles need to be scrupulously clean. Check the mouth for chips, cracks, and irregularities that might prevent a good seal. Brown glass is preferred. Clear or green glass don't block UV light. If you do use them then be vERY careful not to let light get on the beer. Brown bottles are easy to come by so I would save only those.

Store bottled beer in a dark and preferably cool location.

Label your beer and keep a record of your batches with their recipes and bottle numbers or at least batch numbers. You might think you wouldn't forget, but you will. One day you will get a beer that isn't up to your standards, or maybe you will get one that is fantastic. You need to know ingredient by ingredient, step by step, how you got that result, so you will or won't get the same thing again, whichever the case may be. I have 5 kegs and 4 of them look exactly alike. I had to really get medieval on labeling and record keeping when all I wanted to do was drink my beer.

Another bit of advice I'll offer - focus on repeatability. Document everything! Strike water, mash, fermentation temps. Volumes of strike, sparge, pre-boil, post-boil, initial fermenter, packaging and dead spaces. Times for mash, boil fermentation. (I'm sure I'm forgetting some things).

I just got back into the hobby about 18 months ago (new to all grain). It took me several batches to figure out my losses to equipment and boil, and dial in the process. Better record keeping would have helped. There's a bunch of software and spreadsheets out there that can help.

When you make a fantastic beer, you'll know how to reproduce it. You'll be able to make small tweaks to your recipes and process and see what changes they produce.

Also - check out CraigsList. There's usually someone selling equipment. You can get some real deals.

Hi,

im new to home brewing. I’m wondering what is the first equipment beyond a starter kit to invest in. I’ve been looking at the following:
Tilt hydrometer
Yeast starter with stir plate
Wort chiller
Upgraded fermenter - conical
Upgraded fermenter - siphonless wide mouth
Carboy cleaning drill attachment
Crashing refrigerator
Aerator ? What type

obviously I’d like it all, but $$’s says one at a time. What do you think would be the best order to acquire this equipment ? Best bangfor the buck ?
I’m not planning on brewing heavy beers like stouts, I’m more of an ale/ipa guy with ABV’s in the 5-6 average range. Starting with extract kits.
if you had to choose one …
Of your list in the OP, I chose a (stainless)wort chiller as the the most important. I could only choose one.
IMO the next most important thing on your list would be the stir plate.

This speaks a lot here....
I think you're approaching this question backwards: Decide what it is you think your beer is lacking, and then figure out what equipment will help you do that.
If you haven't brewed your first batch of brew with just the simplest of methods, then you really won't ever realize what fancier equipment is even doing for you. And if it actually does anything for how good your beer is. Don't complicate your brewing until you understand that you need the extra complication.

A whole continent of Aussies gets by without wort chillers (look up no chill brewing).

The right yeast minimizes the need for fermentation temperature control (kveiks and saisons).
Unless you are in the hottest of climates, many types of yeast will work for you with very simple methods to minimize the swings of ambient temperatures. Lagers will need the most attention to temps when fermenting, IMO. But in my part of the world the coming seasons ambient temps this time of year might let me do a reasonable lager with out having to have a fridge for it. And there are a lot of ales and other beers that do well with no cooling and just paying attention to the yeast selected.

Think about what you want to achieve, and pick the hw to make it happen.

IMO the next most important thing on your list would be the stir plate.
If the OP is using dry yeast, which I urgently recommend him to do, there's no need to get involved with liquid yeast and thus yeast starters and related paraphernalia at this point. There's an excellent selection of dry yeast available now. Keep it simple.

Of your list in the OP, I chose a (stainless)wort chiller as the the most important. I could only choose one.
The OP doesn't even know yet if he likes spending 2-4 hours of brewing a batch (using extract and steeping grains), keeping an eye on fermentation for 2 weeks, then bottling the batch, and wait 3 weeks to taste the results.

Most extract brews can be done, and very well so, using one or two large kitchen pots on the stove. 2-3 gallon batches:
  1. You'd only boil about half of the wort (1.5-2 gallons). The balance will be made up with cold top-up water in the fermenter, later.
  2. After the boil is done, chill the covered pot(s) in the sink or in a tub with cold water.
  3. When chilled enough, transfer the wort to the fermenter that already contains the cold top-up water. Stir well, measure the temp and gravity (for the record). Most likely it's cool enough to pitch the yeast: sprinkle it over the wort's surface. Now it's beer!
  4. Place airlock, and put the fermenter in a cool enough, dark area, or a fermentation fridge/freezer, if you have one.

I've had good luck fermenting in the basement in the 65 - 68 range. I'm a year plus into the hobby and started with a 8 gallon brew kettle, propane burner, wort chiller, stirring spoon for the boil kettle, siphon, glass (should have went with plastic) carboy 5 gallon + range, iGrill thermometer blowoff tubing. I actually stepped through a "dummy" brew with water to confirm I had everything I needed - stopped at siphoning the brew kettle into the carboy. Sounds nerdish but better than getting in the middle of the first brew and finding out you're missing something. My first three batches were extract but I have my fifth all grain in the fermenter now. I'm pondering my next step in the hobby and it may be fermentation temperature control, but my basement fermentations have turned out pretty good. It may be a case that I don't know what I'm missing :D

Dry yeast, consider a Kveik as it ferments very clean at a cool temperature ( lutra now available dry).
Not seen mention of a hydrometer that's essential and a thermometer or two, though I did skim the thread.
A decent capper rather than a hammer capper. As many have said, temperature control will help later, but not essential at the start.
Pressure ferment will also allow you to dabble a bit with serving from keg using a party tap as well as the advantages of keeping oxygen out and change yeast temp tolerance.
A 200 dollar fermenter will not make your beer 10 times better than a 20 dollar bucket and an airlock.
Read lots and be discerning about your " expert " advice.

Dry yeast, consider a Kveik as it ferments very clean at a cool temperature ( lutra now available dry).
Not seen mention of a hydrometer that's essential and a thermometer or two, though I did skim the thread.
A decent capper rather than a hammer capper. As many have said, temperature control will help later, but not essential at the start.
Pressure ferment will also allow you to dabble a bit with serving from keg using a party tap as well as the advantages of keeping oxygen out and change yeast temp tolerance.
A 200 dollar fermenter will not make your beer 10 times better than a 20 dollar bucket and an airlock.
Lol !! Listening to advice is what made my list so long in the first place !
Actually, I have learned much more from this thread than all of my other research. It has really put things into perspective and let’s me differentiate between needs and wants. I need temp control before a “Tilt” hydrometer. Not that the Tilt is bad - just going to take my beer from an 8 to an 8.5 - whereas cooling the wort quickly and fermenting at the proper temp will take my beer from a 5 to an 8. I’m going to probably get the premium starter kit from More Beer due to the 8.5gal kettle and an immersion chiller, and a 7 gal wide mouth plastic carboy. Then add bells and whistles as I go. Eventually I will get to kegs, but can’t afford all the equipment required right now (kegs, taps, co2 tank, and a keezer to keep them cold)

Thank you again for all of your posts. I am really looking forward to this :)

Well, I checked all the kviek strains sold by MoreBeer.
"LalBrew Voss Kveik supports a wide range of fermentation temperatures between 77-104°F with a very high optimal range of 95-104°F." so that one is out.
Lutra is isolated from Hornindal. Optimum Fermentation Temp: 68-95°F. So OP's basement is right at the low end for Lutra.
OSLO Kveik Recommended Fermentation Temperature: 75–98°F. This one wouldn't be such a good bet.
Hornindal Optimum Fermentation Temp: 70-95°F. Well... it would probably work if the wort was a bit warmer for pitching.
Opshaug Optimum Fermentation Temp: 77–95°F. Meh.

The star of the show:
IYA43 Loki Kveik - Imperial Organic Yeast
$10.99 so a bit expensive.
"Loki has one of the highest temperature ranges of any Kveik yeast strain, able to ferment well anywhere between 65–100°F. On the cooler end of the spectrum, Loki is extremely clean, producing little to no esters. On the high end, it will produce a huge fruit ester profile. Use with confidence to ferment any style from pseudo lagers to Belgians to hop-forward pales and IPAs. Traditionally used to produce Norwegian farmhouse beers, but Loki will have great results fermenting almost any ale style."
Temp: 65-100°F, 18-38°C

The Loki would work great in the basement. I didn't see dry Lutra at MoreBeer but they do have dry Voss which I have used. I think I might try the Loki some day, myself. I have used Voss, and HotHeat, The Omega site lists dry Lutra. Also HotHead, which I have used, listed temp range 68–95° F (20–35° C) so the HH would be fine for OP.

Wow Lutra's alcohol tolerance is 15%. That's one bad mama jamma yeast.

There is more for beer than Morebeer!
https://www.austinhomebrew.com/Omega-Dry-Yeast-071-Lutra-Kveik_p_11373.html
I can assure you that kveik will ferment at cooler temps and a simple blanket or sleeping bag with the fermenter on several layers of cardboard and a couple of plastic bottles with hot water in will boost temp very effectively if it's needed. THe beer of course will get warmer as it ferments so you can just pitch hot at say 95 wrap it up and it will do it's thing.

The OP has been suggested to keep off liquid yeasts at the start.

Collect bigger bottles this will save you time and effort and caps when you start bottling.

Aaannddd the wife’s sister literally just text a pic of a slightly dented 7 cu ft freezer at Lowe’s for $125 :).

Luckily dented freezers still make great beer! Hope you snap that up! It would make a great fermentation chamber for now, and you can turn it into a keezer if/when you eventually move to kegging.

When you do consider electronic fermentation monitoring, the ispindel is a lot cheaper and well supported on this forum, look up ispindle.
All floating gravity monitors are great for showing a trend and temp but I do my FG check with a hydrometer.

1. Tilt hydrometer
2. Yeast starter with stir plate
3. Wort chiller
4. Upgraded fermenter - conical
5. Upgraded fermenter - siphonless wide mouth
6. Carboy cleaning drill attachment
7. Crashing refrigerator
8. Aerator ? What type
I didn't read the responses, full disclosure.
The point of the post below is a "crawl before you walk" kind of response.

For a new brewer:
Skip 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 for now.

Get a regular hydrometer certainly.
Get a wort chiller (coiled copper type) since icing down is an extreme hassle.
Buy a couple plastic bucket fermenters to begin with (7.9 gallons so you don't have to fudge with a blow-off tube).
Skip the fridge and use ambient temperatures as best you can for now.
Use dry yeast for now and skip the aerator.
Buy kits or make recipes based off of kits for now.
See if you really like brewing.

ONCE YOU KNOW THAT THIS HOBBY IS FOR YOU: temperature control (refrigerator) is my suggestion for the most impactful purchase.

This is just my opinion, of course, but it is based on being new to brewing at one time.

Luckily dented freezers still make great beer! Hope you snap that up! It would make a great fermentation chamber for now, and you can turn it into a keezer if/when you eventually move to kegging.
The wife thinking it’s gonna be hers !! Brew-ha-ha-ha !! Actually. We’re gonna empty my other freezers into it and defrost them. The we will move the food back and the freezer will be my brew-toy !!!

Lol !! Listening to advice is what made my list so long in the first place !
Actually, I have learned much more from this thread than all of my other research. It has really put things into perspective and let’s me differentiate between needs and wants. I need temp control before a “Tilt” hydrometer. Not that the Tilt is bad - just going to take my beer from an 8 to an 8.5 - whereas cooling the wort quickly and fermenting at the proper temp will take my beer from a 5 to an 8. I’m going to probably get the premium starter kit from More Beer due to the 8.5gal kettle and an immersion chiller, and a 7 gal wide mouth plastic carboy. Then add bells and whistles as I go. Eventually I will get to kegs, but can’t afford all the equipment required right now (kegs, taps, co2 tank, and a keezer to keep them cold)

Thank you again for all of your posts. I am really looking forward to this :)
Sounds like you've got a good plan. No need to rush into extras.

I'm looking for a kegging setup now. But, no rush. Bottling still works, and I can afford to wait until I catch a great deal. Black Friday's around the corner (or here at a lot of places).

The wife thinking it’s gonna be hers !! Brew-ha-ha-ha !! Actually. We’re gonna empty my other freezers into it and defrost them. The we will move the food back and the freezer will be my brew-toy !!!
I bought a dented freezer for conversion to a keezer, just before lockdown. Got filled with food and I've never got it back. But have claimed a 1/4 for hops.
Picked up a display fridge and converted that for the kegs soon after so all was not lost, nice and easy as no lines in the side and it takes 8 kegs for minimal floor space.

I bought a dented freezer for conversion to a keezer, just before lockdown. Got filled with food and I've never got it back. But have claimed a 1/4 for hops.
Picked up a display fridge and converted that for the kegs soon after so all was not lost, nice and easy as no lines in the side and it takes 8 kegs for minimal floor space.
We already got 2 others, and our trip to the meat store was last week :). Got 30 lbs chicken, 10 lb ground beef, 10 lb bacon, and a 15 lb NY strip loin cut into 15 steaks :). All BEFORE the new freezer ;)

I’m going to probably get the premium starter kit from More Beer due to the 8.5gal kettle and an immersion chiller, and a 7 gal wide mouth plastic carboy.
The only issue you may hit later on, when you go all-grain, is that the 8.5 gallon kettle is a bit small for full volume 5 gallon BIAB mashes. For doing those, the kettle needs to hold about 7.5-8 gallons for the (strike) water and milled grain. That doesn't leave enough (merely 1/2 inch) of headspace to stir, etc.
You could get around that by using somewhat less water for the mash, then doing a small sparge (=rinse) after the mash by dunking the dripped/squeezed-out grain bag in a large bucket or other spare vessel with a gallon or 2 of sparge water. You then add the reclaimed wort from the sparge to your boil kettle.
Or use a converted cooler as a mash tun.

An 8.5 gallon boil kettle is sort of the bare minimum for boiling 5-5.5 gallon batches.
Mine is 8 gallons and it's quite FULL! I don't do BIAB, I use a converted cooler for mashing and lautering (=draining).

If the OP is using dry yeast, which I urgently recommend him to do, there's no need to get involved with liquid yeast and thus yeast starters and related paraphernalia at this point. There's an excellent selection of dry yeast available now. Keep it simple.

The OP doesn't even know yet if he likes spending 2-4 hours of brewing a batch (using extract and steeping grains), keeping an eye on fermentation for 2 weeks, then bottling the batch, and wait 3 weeks to taste the results.

Most extract brews can be done, and very well so, using one or two large kitchen pots on the stove. 2-3 gallon batches:
  1. You'd only boil about half of the wort (1.5-2 gallons). The balance will be made up with cold top-up water in the fermenter, later.
  2. After the boil is done, chill the covered pot(s) in the sink or in a tub with cold water.
  3. When chilled enough, transfer the wort to the fermenter that already contains the cold top-up water. Stir well, measure the temp and gravity (for the record). Most likely it's cool enough to pitch the yeast: sprinkle it over the wort's surface. Now it's beer!
  4. Place airlock, and put the fermenter in a cool enough, dark area, or a fermentation fridge/freezer, if you have one.
After the basic equipment this is what I would choose. It was his list and he asked, "if you could only choose one". I'm kind of confused as to why you quoted my post when giving the OP a tutorial on brewing malt extract ? Not upset or anything, just confused :oops:

The only issue you may hit later on, when you go all-grain, is that the 8.5 gallon kettle is a bit small for full volume 5 gallon BIAB mashes. For doing those, the kettle needs to hold about 7.5-8 gallons for the (strike) water and milled grain. That doesn't leave enough headspace (like 1/2 inch) to stir, etc.

I agree. To me that is the fatal flaw of that kit. A lot of the money is on a nice kettle that is an awkward size. It is a great size for full volume extract brewing, and might work okay if you moved to a 3-vessel all-grain setup. I use a 10 gallon kettle for BIAB and I often wish I had an extra gallon or two of space. If I purchased a replacement, I would get a 15 gallon one (12 gallons would fit my needs well, but that is not a popular size).

Thanks !! There are 2 chest freezers in my area for $50. Seems like I’ll be looking at them soon ! Can these be used with an inkbird for fermentation temp control ?
|Sheesh, where are you? I troll Craigslist and FB marketplace almost every day, and I never (OK, exceedingly rarely) see chest freezers for less than what they cost brand new in a store. There's one that's been hanging around for a couple weeks, a 5cf, no name, and really beat up, they're asking $200 for it, new ones are $175 at the big boxes. I suppose I could contact with an offer, but they'd probably be insulted by the $75 or so that thing is actually worth.

|Sheesh, where are you? I troll Craigslist and FB marketplace almost every day, and I never (OK, exceedingly rarely) see chest freezers for less than what they cost brand new in a store. There's one that's been hanging around for a couple weeks, a 5cf, no name, and really beat up, they're asking $200 for it, new ones are $175 at the big boxes. I suppose I could contact with an offer, but they'd probably be insulted by the $75 or so that thing is actually worth.
I just saw a keezer ready to go with tap and co2 for $200 on FB. When I asked them a question, they offered to throw in a Sanke adapter ! There are so many good deals on FB. Usually the best deals are the farthest away from me tho

After the basic equipment this is what I would choose. It was his list and he asked, "if you could only choose one". I'm kind of confused as to why you quoted my post when giving the OP a tutorial on brewing malt extract ? Not upset or anything, just confused :oops:
Sorry, I didn't mean to confuse you or knock your choices, they are good ones and totally legit.

I was merely commenting on your 2 top choices in general, not because they were yours, but because I feel they are a bit premature on the OP's homebrewing timeline. At this point he doesn't know if he likes homebrewing (enough). Hence my "tutorial" on starting simple, using a partial boil extract method with equipment he may already have.

I guess I should have made the extract tutorial a separate post.

Sorry, I didn't mean to confuse you or knock your choices, they are good ones and totally legit.

I was merely commenting on your 2 top choices in general, not because they were yours, but because I feel they are a bit premature on the OP's homebrewing timeline. At this point he doesn't know if he likes homebrewing (enough). Hence my "tutorial" on starting simple, using a partial boil extract method with equipment he may already have.

I guess I should have made the extract tutorial a separate post.
Ok. I was confused because there are a lot of LONG replies in this thread where folks go on and on and never really answer the OP's original question. I noticed you did not quote most of them.
I tried to keep my reply short and to the point while answering Merz's question.
Still kinda confused, but that's OK ✌

Ok. I was confused because there are a lot of LONG replies in this thread where folks go on and on and never really answer the OP's original question. I noticed you did not quote most of them.
I tried to keep my reply short and to the point while answering Merz's question.
The long replies are par for the course on this homebrew forum. We all try to help getting him started, and answering his questions. That entices replies and discussions about those answers...

Another reason for the long replies may be due to the OP's original question.
Why would he care what equipment on his list someone else would buy? Everyone has their own unique situation, and they may not match his, without further information.
Obviously he's (indirectly) looking for input on those listed items he's thinking of buying, in addition to a starter kit he's eying up to buy.

Mind, he has never brewed before, and I'm not the only one who thinks he should start simple(r), until he knows he actually likes homebrewing.

Don’t sweat it guys !! I’ve read every reply, and absorbed a ton of relevant and useful information. My equipment priorities seem much better now - leaving options for later.

thanks for all the great advice :)

it wasnt quite the simple yes or no answer. the guy is reaching out for some help getting started...which im sure thats the entire purpose of this site.

which im sure thats the entire purpose of this site.

i don't know about 'entire'? i just come here to goof off with other people that brew...and toss in my two cents every once in a while about brewing, and the way i do it.....pick up a few tricks along the way, just being exposed to other people that brew too.... :mug:

I have only skimmed this thread, but I totally agree with this^^^.
As a beginner (or seasoned veteran), there is nothing more simple than sprinkling a packet of dry yeast on your wort before you seal your fermenter. Excellent beer can be made with dry yeast and in my opinion, there are many more things to get proficient at before worrying about liquid yeast. I’ve been brewing off and on for nearly 20 years and I’m still intimidated by liquid yeast and don’t like the hassle quite frankly.
Chose a simple kit, be it extract or all grain from a reputable online supplier, follow and pay attention to each step, and enjoy your first beer in 4-6 weeks.
Sláinte

Back