Best compliment you've received?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grevengrevs

Reaction score
Shortly before the New Years I had some friends over for beers and smoked ribs. A lot of them are your Bud Light-4-Life guys (nothing wrong with that) but they stepped out of their comfort zone and had some home brews and 2 of them took the time to say "I'd buy this!"

Now the recipes are ones that I have gotten off the net but it still really made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. I was worried that they would be polite and say the usual "its ok but not for me" or "thats interesting" but they really enjoyed it and kept going back for more so much so that I now have to rebrew this week and I have a case or so of Bud Light in the fridge.

With that, what is the best the compliment you have received as a homebrewer?

I've gotten that one before as well. I want to tell them "so is warm piss" so that's not saying much but I just say thanks for the input.

My sister and brother in law recently returned from a trip to Scotland. When I brought my latest Scottish Ale to Christmas dinner, BIL said that it was better than anything he had over there.

I gather that the beer market over there is similar to here: a lot of light lager clones, and some good-to-great craft beers if you know what to ask for. So I'm not sure what mine was being compared to, but I'll take the compliment!

My neighbor said "It tastes like beer" as she was handing the remainder of hers back to me. Made me feel good that I accomplished what I set out to do. On the other hand, my sister, who lives close by and hates beer, said my schwarzbier "was really good". A good friend of hers (friend of mine also) was really disappointed a few weeks ago when i couldn't make it to a bbq because he loves my beer.

The one that really stood out to me was when I gave my boss a couple bottles of a milk stout, he said opened it and an Old Rasputin at dinner and ended up dumpin the Raspy.

With that, what is the best the compliment you have received as a homebrewer?

I think the best ever was when I was at my first National Homebrewers Conference in 2008. I had a keg of IPA in the HBT booth (yes, we had a booth there!) but I was off wandering around.

Someone from our booth came to find me, because Ray Daniels tried my beer and said it was one of the best IPAs he had ever had, and one of the best beers of the conference. And he wanted to meet me, and tell me so. That was definitely a cool highlight- I had been only been brewing seriously a couple of years at that time and it was a great affirmation.

The best compliment I ever get is when someone asks if they can take a few of my brews home. As much as I hate to part with my beer I am normally happy to give them a sixer

Best compliment I have had so far was with my American Porter, I brought it to a home-brewers party last weekend and I had several people come up to me and say, "That Porter was spot on." or something of that vernacular. Was it good or bad? No idea but it was perfectly typical of the beer type so I feel like I hit a grand slam home run!

BEER1.jpg

"This tastes like something you would get at Tired Hands."

It sound silly but I always think the best compliment is when people ask for another glass or if they can take some home.

This is big for me as well. That first time someone says, "Hey I brought some BMC but do you mind if I have another off the keg?"

Honestly the first it happened I felt like my kid had just scored the winning run in baseball or gotten a perfect score at a music recital. Super stoked! :ban:

I live in Bend, Oregon which is home brew town USA ... I just started brewing this year. On my very first batch, an IPA, that ended up a lot more like a traditional Pale Ale, a friend who knows beer well said ... "That's the best home brew I had all year" ... I was pretty shocked.

I live in Bend, Oregon which is home brew town USA ... I just started brewing this year. On my very first batch, an IPA, that ended up a lot more like a traditional Pale Ale, a friend who knows beer well said ... "That's the best home brew I had all year" ... I was pretty shocked.

You do realize that we're only 5 days into this year, right?:D

Hah, reminds me the first keg I ever filled with homebrew was a super cheap SMaSH (2-row/nugget) and it was kicked on NYE (2 years ago). They said it tasted like Coors with hops. That's high praise coming from people that brought Coors, High Life and Admiral Nelson.

The best compliment I have received is having offer to pay shipping every couple of months so they can have my latest batches.

Or perhaps,
when my 7 year old smells my latest homebrew in the glass and tells me I did a good job.

I made the New Belgium Ranger IPA clone (Extract) from a BYO magazine. The beer was cursed from day one (won't go into details), but it didn't turn out anything like the real thing and was closer to a Pale Ale in my opinion. Well I brought a growler of it to a football party in the neighborhood. The Labbatt Blue Light drinker (who hates "hoppy beers" or anything other than LB) loved it so much that he consumed most of the growler himself. So I took that as a compliment.

At our camp-out this year, a 5 gallon keg of a Spotted Cow clone got hammered. Keg was kicked in a hurry and lots of compliments such as "I don't normally like homebrewed beer but this is great" (which probably means that they had something bad once but whatever).

Folks are already asking what I'm bringing for next year's trip.

I dont want to think too much on the best one Ive gotten, let alone type it. My head wouldnt fit through the door.

You know that feeling when something is so applauding that it hits a nerve and feels embarrassing?

First one? My first beer, a Dunkle, the comments ranged from "you didn't brew this, right?" to " you've been brewing for a long time and not telling us!".

Best one? A brewery manager and I had been talking about Sours, he repeatedly stated his dislike for them. I took one of the first bottles of my first sour and he liked it, every time I saw him after that, he asked if I brought another bottle to share.

Good comments I've gotten:

I met Yooper in San Diego and she said my Bohemian Pils was "good."

Gave a co-worker a grab-bag of homebrews for his wife's b'day party, I've already got "orders" for next year.

My BIL took some of my Smoked Porter to the owner of the restaurant where he maître'd's in LA, and the guy asked when I was going into business.

Wife's best friend finds every possible excuse to come over all the time now, part of the visit is always to see what's ready this time.

Best compliment on my beer I ever got from my wife: "eh, it was OK." Of course that's the best compliment I've ever gotten on anything from my wife. :confused: :)

Made a roggenbier with a recipe of my own design after never having had a roggenbier, entered it into competition and a master judge gave it a 43 (to balance this my other beers did horrible at the same competition). To me right now at my level of brewing is a really high compliment.

Not that comments from 'regular folks' dont count, but the competition wasnt all that long ago and the next best compliment that comes to mind is "tastes like something you'd buy at the store".

Brewed a good wheat beer and had a BBQ with FIL. He only said, it's pretty good, but I saw him go back for at least 3 more pours before I lost track of everything. Keeper recipe!

I had 5 gals of my vanilla cream ale and 5 gals of my house IPA at a friends wedding this summer. Thought to myself, thatd be cool if people liked them enough to finish the kegs by the end of the night (150 people so I definitely knew it was doable). The kegs were empty by the end of the 1.5 hour cocktail hour. People were coming up to me telling me that they had dumped their cocktails and switched before the beer ran out. That was the best feeling ever :ban:

I have a sampler of my 3 beers and 1 cider on tap to a friend right before Christmas and when he came over for NYE he brought a growler he wanted filled my stout but was very sad that I had already killed the keg. I think anyone who wants to take a my beer home is a compliment.:tank:

From my BMC friends? "It's drinkable" and it annoys the living hell out of me.

Ha ha, I totally get that. Most recent was my Lakewalk Pale Ale (yum, btw) which got a "Its a bit much" from a female BMC drinker (not that gender matters of course)

Compliments have been great, got a "this could win awards" in a spontaneous email from a co-worker as he was downing a recent brew. Makes you feel good, but also know you can do better. Starting down the slippery slope of water chemistry:eek:

My dad got pissed at me because he said my brown ale ruined Newcastle for him. That one felt pretty good.

Maybe not best compliment, but favorite compliment, from one of my cousins:

"Hey, this is pretty good! You could bottle it."

- "I do bottle it..."

"I mean bottle and sell it, smartass."

At my wife's Grams apartment complex, I'm now "the kid who makes that great beer" to about ten old guys.

No ones called me "kid" in like ten years.

Oh and this one meant a lot too. My dad's favorite beer was Ballast Point Big Eye. We drank that stuff all the time. I did a clone of it and he told me he actually liked it more than the original. I got to brew it with him again one more time the day before he passed away in August so that was kind of nice

Back