Best coffee to use in a coffee stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EddieB_LTB

Reaction score
Just thought that this should be a thread seeing as how this is a beer related forum.

I will start if off buy suggesting that exceptionally bright coffees should be avoided. Coffees that have strong body and good sweetness are preferable. I would suggest a city to full-city roast of Sumatra Mandaling and Colombia Supremo brewed using cold extract method...

So lets hear it. What have you had success with in the past? Brew method? Quantity used? number of additions? ect...

GO!:rockin:

I look for a coffee with medium body and low acid if I can. I've had really good results with using locally roasted course ground espresso beans. I use a hop sock and steep the beans post boil at 203F for about 5 minutes, then pull them out and continue the whirlpool and chill. The results are fantastic.

Some people prefer the character from cold-brewed coffee additions. I don't like cold-brewed coffee addition for big stouts or porters, but it can be more pleasant in a lighter ale. It comes down to preference.

The first coffee stout that I helped with we did steeped in the boil kettle and added cold brew to secondary. The coffee flavor was really strong to begin with but began to fade over a couple months. Wish we would have bottled some of that one. would be nice to see how it aged but it was too good to last!

The nice thing about the cold brew for an addition to secondary is the lower acid levels compared to hot water preparations. Tends to be more concentrated due to extended brewing times..

Just brewed a Coffee/Chocolate stout... Debating on cold brewing my own Ethiopian (Which kinda Chocolate but Spicy) ive used it a good bit for my morning pick me up. Or just debating on buying my normal cold brew I can buy prepacked at wholefoods. The guy who brews it says its a blend of everything he thinks makes good cold brew and it is damn good. Also debating on how much to use.

Any one ever bottle and drop in one or two beans for kicks to age with?

I love Ethiopian coffee, but I find the mix of flavors aren't as good in a Stout and I would enjoy the two better separately.

Personally I've been dropping a shot of espresso that has cooled into a pint of my Cream Stout in the morning occasionally. I figure it's kind of like drinking my breakfast and coffee at the same time. I find this way, Brazilian semi-dark roasted (I roast to just before 2nd-crack) is the best.

Cold brewed coffee takes a lot of flavor out IMO, I would experiment with the right kind of coffee that matches your brew the best and brewing it the best way you know how. Filter can make great coffee. This should make something tastier than focusing too much on the brew method.

I added cold-brewed Blue Mountain Style coffee to my chocolate coffee porter, adding the coffee (and chocolate) in secondary. It took a few months for the coffee flavors to develop in the bottle, but now it is tasting incredible; it is a fantastic combo.

I've used cold brewed coffee that I brewed at home. It was Peet's Major Dickenson's blend. I also added cold brewed coffee concentrate which was Larry's Beans and it was wonderful. I added that at bottling. The cold brew I made was a bit too acidic.

I use Lavazza Caffé Espresso made from my Delonghi espresso machine. It's got a built-in grinder. One button operation, even for a double.

Just brewed a Coffee/Chocolate stout... Debating on cold brewing my own Ethiopian (Which kinda Chocolate but Spicy) ive used it a good bit for my morning pick me up. Or just debating on buying my normal cold brew I can buy prepacked at wholefoods. The guy who brews it says its a blend of everything he thinks makes good cold brew and it is damn good. Also debating on how much to use.

Any one ever bottle and drop in one or two beans for kicks to age with?

Id advise against it i put some grounds in a secondary without bagging them and some of the bottles had grounds in them and the coffee took over everything. man it was the best stout i ever made till then.

I used Nescafe instant, 3 table spoon per gallon. Scoop it in just at mash out. Makes for a thick mouth feel at no worry about over brewed taste. Tried it once when I transferred from primary to secondary and tasted like wet sock and mildew.

Back