best/cheapest places to buy 50lbs of 2-row?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RMS

Reaction score
Where are you buying your bulk grains from? I am looking to get my costs down if possible.

Thanks.

I use Farmhosue brewing supply for most of my ingredients. If you buy 50 (or 55lb for european malts) , you get a 20% discount per lb and their shipping costs are always pretty good.

But more recently ive just been buying grains from my local breweries. I routinely bring in homebrew for them to try so they are more than willing to give me some bags of grain at low wholesale prices and no shipping costs

A local brew pub sells bags to me at their cost, a lot of brewers are happy to help homebrewers if you ask.

Look into local group buys. I get almost all my malt that way now. Its a great way to meet other brewers from the forum too. also at ours some people bring homebrew and we sample each others beer.

By far the best place around here is the "new england grain buy". It comes up about ever 6 months. For example, you can get 55# sacks of canadian malting 2 row for about $38 with shipping. Watch for announcements on the "group buys" on the Home Brew Forums. Use the forum jump pulldown menu.

By far the best place around here is the "new england grain buy". It comes up about ever 6 months. For example, you can get 55# sacks of canadian malting 2 row for about $38 with shipping. Watch for announcements on the "group buys" on the Home Brew Forums. Use the forum jump pulldown menu.

Nice, I will have to keep my eyes open for the next one!

I don't have any store around than I can get a 50lb sack from. For me morebeer works the best. Shipping is something like $12 for a sack. Normally though I just do their free shipping with the $59 order requirement. 10lb bags fall under the free shipping. I pay a little more per lb but I also get a selection of base grains.

What about your LHBS? In Boston, I would assume you have several LHBS in the area, and I've never had trouble buying full sacks of grain at my LHBS here in CA.

Since full sacks don't typically fall under the "free shipping" umbrella at most of the online sites, even if I spend a little more for the sack, it's typically less than what it would be with shipping.

I'd try your local brewery or distillery. We (distillery) are more than happy to add a sack or two to the next order. It's never affected shipping costs. Any brewers in Indianapolis PM me if you want to order.

I use Farmhosue brewing supply for most of my ingredients. ...

Well until I find a place to buy in bulk I like the price and shipping fee's of Farmhouse so far they beat the total price of about 4 other places I looked at so far. I also like their hop selection.

Ritebrew and Morebeer are both pretty good, but for me the winner is usually Northern Brewer when they have one of their 20% off a single item sale, which they seem to run several times a year.

Does Farmhouse have 50 lb bags though? I only see 10 lb.

Click on the base malts. Select the malt you want, then click on 'buy in bulk and save', on some you can save 25% when you order over 50 lbs.

I've gotten decent prices at lhbs in the past $45-55 per sack depending on the lhbs. As Far as I know group buys are typically 35-50 per sack depending on malter, supplier, and the deal with the group.

My preference is usually to ask around with nearby breweries first and see if any of them is willing to sell me a sack at cost or near cost. They typically get it for way under what even group buys get due to steep volume and shipping discounts. I've heard of purchases in the 15-20 range and that makes me a little jealous!

Yea, ring up 50# individually and it's only $70.49 shipped.
I looked and flat rate cut off is 65#.

I go to my local maltster warehouse, they are Best Malz, they will sell directly to anyone. One sack cost about 24€ (26$). If you buy more you get a better rate. We did a bulk order of 10 bags and got it for 15€ a sack.

When I used to buy bulk, I bought at my LHBS. They have lower prices on ingredients than anyone on the net and no shipping. Then I got a bulk discount on top of my "longtime customer" discount.

Back