Best Brewing Mistake?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ProblemChild

Reaction score
Well - mistakes don't always have to be bad. I made a few on Monday and so far I am flad they happened....

Monday night, I was brewing to get in a batch that was planned for the weekend, but was not able to get done. My plan was for a Honey Porter. A first for me so the recipe was diligently prepared (in beersmith anyway). I was looking forward to it and jumped in as soon as I got home from work. Got in a little bit of a hurry

Three things happend
1) Used my home made RIMS for the first time on a batch - over shot gravity by .012 (nice!!)
2) I failed to read the weight on the jar of honey and added two pounds instead of one.
3) Miscalculated water needs and did not watch as the wort was poured into the carboy. only had a quart or so of head space left after pitching the yeast. (over shot gravity with extra wort? nice again!!!)

So - I now have made an Imperial Honey Porter!!! to boot, only a quart came out in the blow-off from a vigorous start to fermentation. On top of everything, the wort tastes amazing. If this avoids throwing esters from a hot fermentation (higher gravity and no temp control) this will be a fantastic mistake. Here's hoping!!!

How about anyone else? What was your best brew mistake?

Brewing one of my hoppy favourites, normally no issues - this time:

Vorlauf pump jammed
Grain filter became detached in mash tun
Hop net had hole in
Electricity tripped twice

Beer had better be nice !

My best mistake? Getting started!

Actually my best mistake was when my a/c went out for a few days one summer and the temps got into the high 80's which ruined a sMasH I had brewed. Right then I researched temp control and found out a great low tech method... the swamp cooler!

My beers got instantly better.

Back