Best bottled water for homebrewing.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cl330b

Reaction score
If a brewer decides not to use his tap water, what would be the recommended bottled water brand? (ie, Crystal Geyser, Arrowhead. Etc...)

Thanks in advance!

Big Toe • East Lawn Brewing •

I'm sure they're all going to be pretty much interchangeable. It's not like they give out a water profile for each of them...and many of them ARE simply tap water themselves, with less federal regulation than municipal water.

And some brands aren't nationally distributed.....

If you want to buy water, I'd say buy what's cheapest.

I'd suggest buying reverse osmosis water. Our grocery store has one of those big machines, and the cost is cheap. It's better than bottled drinking water (which as Revvy mentioned may just be tap water anyway) because then you know what's in it- in short, nothing.

For extract brewing, straight RO water is perfect. For AG brewing, a couple of easy additions, like calcium chloride, can make the perfect brewing water for you.

Do or have either of you seasoned vets test your PH before brewing? Or do you obtain your local water profile and go off of that information? Thanks again, new to AG and interested!

Do or have either of you seasoned vets test your PH before brewing? Or do you obtain your local water profile and go off of that information? Thanks again, new to AG and interested!

pH doesn't really matter, believe it or not! I mean, the pH of the water. It's the mash pH that matters, so that's the important thing. More important in the water make up is the levels of bicarbonate, calcium, sodium, etc. I had my water tested ($16 with Ward Lab) and it showed what I suspected- very high bicarbonate levels. I could make an awesome stout with my water but my kolsch was harsh. By getting the water report, I could easily change the things I needed to change, including diluting my tap water with RO water from the machine at the grocery store.

Yooper said:
pH doesn't really matter, believe it or not! I mean, the pH of the water. It's the mash pH that matters, so that's the important thing. More important in the water make up is the levels of bicarbonate, calcium, sodium, etc. I had my water tested ($16 with Ward Lab) and it showed what I suspected- very high bicarbonate levels. I could make an awesome stout with my water but my kolsch was harsh. By getting the water report, I could easily change the things I needed to change, including diluting my tap water with RO water from the machine at the grocery store.

This is great info, exactly what I was looking for (Mash PH importance, not water PH). Thanks again.

I use what tasted best to me...crystal geyser.I can usually get it for a buck a gallon.

our local water tase like crap and is extremely hard so I don't use it.

I have been using Crystal Geyser for 2 batches and have had the exact same off flavor in both completely different styles and batches.

Big Toe • East Lawn Brewing •

Back