Best Beer over 15% ABV

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AZBeerNut

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm currently squatting in North Carolina... where beer over 15% ABV is illegal to sell.

That said... I travel...... a lot... so I can get access to most beers available in the country.

So...... help me with a list of goodies to bring back for my NC buddies and I to enjoy. :tank:

Best Beer over 15% ABV...... ready?......... Go!

Over 15% is pushing the limits of beer. I can't even think of a beer over 15% I've had. The highest I remember is my favorite Stout, BCBCS which is ~13% if I remember correctly

Of course, everyone loves BCBCS. I had the opportunity to try it very early on in my beer hobby and it was instantly my favorite stout, and among my favorite beers. That's before I knew it was one of the best stouts out there.

I think that's a good alternative.

Edit: BCBCS = Bourbon Country Brand Coffee Stout

I'm currently squatting in North Carolina... where beer over 15% ABV is illegal to sell.

That said... I travel...... a lot... so I can get access to most beers available in the country.

So...... help me with a list of goodies to bring back for my NC buddies and I to enjoy. :tank:

Best Beer over 15% ABV...... ready?......... Go!

Dogfish Head 120 and DuClaw Cosmos, both over the 15% limit for what is allowable to be distributed here as a beer. There is also Avery Rumpkin, I think that's over 15% as well as a few other Avery beers.

I know of several by Dod Fish Head (like 120 and World Wide Stout)... several by The Bruery (like Black Tuesday and Gray Monday)... several by Avery (like The Beast Grand Cru and Mephistopheles)......... just looking for folks' opinions on those and others - and hoping I discover some I haven't even heard of yet!

^ Like DuClaw Cosmos; will have to hunt it now!

Avery Uncle Jacobs is one of my favorites. Their Mephistopheles Stout is also great and is more available.

The only one I recall having was SA Utopias. It was a damn fine beer. Shared it with one of my good friends, he paid. I would love to have another one, but not sure I'm willing to pay that much.

I've had only two beers that were 15% or more: He'Brew Jewbelation Sweet Sixteen and a german beer I don't remember the name of, but it was a 20% boozy dessert.

There are plenty of beers in the 12-14% range that I tend to seek; like three of my favourites: Aventinus Eisbock, Samichlaus and Black Albert.

I'd love to see a big hoppy IIPA seek out 15%, but it's a dodgy taste territory for anything that doesn't have a lot of malt complexity in my mind.

We're lucky enough in Ontario to at least bring in some BIG European brews, but that's probably the only thing our beer-access laws are doing for us right now... but I digress.

Great topic!

I think Bozo Beer from Evil Twin is my favorite 15%+ beer. I only had it once since they don't distribute it down here in Texas, but I remember really liking it.

The only two I've had that high that were not awful were Black Tuesday from The Bruery and Pugachev's Cobra from Hangar 24. I don't think you'll happen upon either of those, though.

One of the worst beers I've ever had. Cloyingly sweet cough syrup mixed with rubbing alcohol.

Crap, now the censors are gonna have to cut my internet connection. Here in China, the nascent craft beer scene is absolutely convinced that Brew Dog can do no wrong - it's the staple at any craft brew bar or shop and the subject of at least two out of every five posts on the major craft beer blogs here. I've only tried a couple of their beers because I get out to those bars about three times a year and don't really want to buy the most ubiquitous beer in the bar, but those I've had (I can only pin down Punk IPA for sure) were decidedly mediocre - possibly as a result of the 5,000 mile journey from kettle to glass. I've thought about picking up a Tokio sometime, but kind've expected what you experienced - a poorly-conceived beer from the Sam Adams of the non-US craft brew scene.

Crap, now the censors are gonna have to cut my internet connection. Here in China, the nascent craft beer scene is absolutely convinced that Brew Dog can do no wrong - it's the staple at any craft brew bar or shop and the subject of at least two out of every five posts on the major craft beer blogs here. I've only tried a couple of their beers because I get out to those bars about three times a year and don't really want to buy the most ubiquitous beer in the bar, but those I've had (I can only pin down Punk IPA for sure) were decidedly mediocre - possibly as a result of the 5,000 mile journey from kettle to glass. I've thought about picking up a Tokio sometime, but kind've expected what you experienced - a poorly-conceived beer from the Sam Adams of the non-US craft brew scene.

They come off as more gimmick than substance to me. I've seen Punk in stores, but I've always given it a pass because I know that the journey from Scotland to southern CA can't be a friendly one to an IPA. I will never try another one of their freeze distilled beers, though.

Raison d'extra by Dogfish is also great

Jack Abby does some bourbon barrel lager wines that are amazing. Brides maker is fantastic.

So far, the following has been suggested:

Avery The Beast Grand Cru
Avery Rumpkin
Avery Mephistopheles
Avery Uncle Jacobs
BrewDog Tokio
The Bruery Black Tuesday
The Bruery Gray Monday
Dogfish Head 120
Dogfish Head Raison d'extra
Dogfish Head World Wide Stout
DuClaw Cosmos
Evil Twin Bozo Beer
Hangar 24 Pugachev's Cobra
He'Brew Jewbelation Sweet Sixteen
Samuel Adams Utopias

:mug: Anything else? :mug:

Avery Samael, but it misses the cut, only 14.2%, however, not likely to be found in NC!

I will add my vote for Avery Uncle Jacobs. About 17.5% Bourbon Barrel Stout and probably the best beer I have every tried, in my opinion. Very complex and bold, but it doesn't taste like straight alcohol like some high ABV beers. I have been trying everything Avery that I can find since having Uncle Jacobs and I have not been disappointed.

List so far:

Avery 5 Monks
Avery The Beast Grand Cru
Avery Rumpkin
Avery Mephistopheles
Avery Pump[KY]n
Avery Tweak
Avery Uncle Jacobs
BrewDog Tokio
The Bruery Chocolate Rain
The Bruery Black Tuesday
The Bruery Gray Monday