Best all in on kegging kit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ttf5003

Reaction score
Hi,

I am new to the forum but not new to homebrewing. I have brewed a few batches with Keystone's bare bones starter kit and an old canning pot. I haven't brewed much lately, partially because we redid the kitchen and I'm afraid of boil overs on the new glass top stove. So I'd like to get back into it and accomplish three things.

1. Brew outside
2. Move to a full boil (5 gallons) system
3. Start kegging instead of bottling.

To accomplish the goal of moving outside I was going to order Bayou SQ14.

As far as the full boil and kegging I was looking at a few things:

Adventures in homebrewing has a pretty complete kit, would be about $410 shipped to door. Includes a bigger pot and wort chiller

http://www.homebrewing.org/Beginning-Homebrew-Kit-Upgrade-5-with-keg-_p_1708.html

Morebeer has a very similar kit for $500, only difference I see is the pot has a valve.

Then Midwest has a kegging kit for $350 but it doesn't come with a pot or chiller. I really wouldn't mind making a keggle as I have the tools and skills to do it, but till I find a keg and buy a chiller I feel like this will be the most expensive option.

Does anyone have any comments on the three brewing kits and the quality between them. Or any other options?

Thanks

May I suggest adding a very important aspect of brewing if you don't already have this capability:

1. Brew outside
2. Be able to closely control ferment temps
3. Move to a full boil (5 gallons) system
4. Start kegging instead of bottling.

May I suggest adding a very important aspect of brewing if you don't already have this capability:

1. Brew outside

True story. I think one of my best investments to date has been setting up my fermentation chamber.

I started with a morebeer kit and have bought numerous items from them in the past. I highly recommend them, their equipment quality is top notch. Also, you will be thankful for that ball valve on the kettle!

1. Brew outside

Two things propelled me to better beers. Water chemistry and temp control. Temp control by far and away was the bigger advancement.

ttf5003 said:
Hi, I am new to the forum but not new to homebrewing. I have brewed a few batches with Keystone's bare bones starter kit and an old canning pot. I haven't brewed much lately, partially because we redid the kitchen and I'm afraid of boil overs on the new glass top stove. So I'd like to get back into it and accomplish three things. 1. Brew outside 2. Move to a full boil (5 gallons) system 3. Start kegging instead of bottling. To accomplish the goal of moving outside I was going to order Bayou SQ14. As far as the full boil and kegging I was looking at a few things: Adventures in homebrewing has a pretty complete kit, would be about $410 shipped to door. Includes a bigger pot and wort chiller http://www.homebrewing.org/Beginning-Homebrew-Kit-Upgrade-5-with-keg-_p_1708.html Morebeer has a very similar kit for $500, only difference I see is the pot has a valve. Then Midwest has a kegging kit for $350 but it doesn't come with a pot or chiller. I really wouldn't mind making a keggle as I have the tools and skills to do it, but till I find a keg and buy a chiller I feel like this will be the most expensive option. Does anyone have any comments on the three brewing kits and the quality between them. Or any other options? Thanks
+1 on ferm temp control. I'd also recommend getting a ten gallon pot. If you're going to do 5 gal batches you'll frequently find yourself starting w/ 6.5 to 7 gal of wort pre-boil that will only leave you 2" or less from the top of the pot!

Thanks for the suggestions. I picked up a heavy duty kettle and a vintage kegerator with two kegs in it from someone on the forum so I guess I'm all set.

I will take a look at fermentation temps though.

Back