Best all around British Ale yeast opinions wanted!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EkieEgan

Reaction score
I am curious what everyones favorites are and why. Also the most forgiving? British bitters and pales are a favorite of mine (ok I have many favorites..who am I kidding) but I have lousy luck brewing them. They are my nemesis honestly. If I was to have a bad beer (with off flavors), which very seldomly occurs, it would most likely be British and I don't know why. Are there yeasts that are more forgiving than others but still maintain the character of a good British?

This is a difficult question not only because there are so many great British yeasts available these days, but there is also a general lack of understanding of how to best use these yeasts. Most British strains work best when fermented via a particular process and it can be difficult to get good results when most home brew fermentations are the same for every yeast. Also, American expectations of British yeast flavor is often different than what is found in the UK. I tend to prefer cleaner and more restrained character; yeasts that are overly tart, fruity, and diacetyl heavy are my least favorite.

That said, here is what I like:

WLP006 Bedford Bitter: Probably my favorite, certainly for bitters and hoppier styles. Great malt character, with mild fruitiness, and balance. Lets all ingredients shine. Same yeast is used via CCV and does well with moderate 02 and low ferment temps. Not top cropping and the yeast can be powdery.

WY1318 London III: Excellent for milds, browns, and maltier styles. Temperature tolerant and not a big diacetyl producer. Mild fruity character that goes sweet. Best used as top cropper and will make very clear beer when done right.

WY1882 Thames Valley II: Great for malt/balanced styles, will throw some D, but cleans up very well. Similar to WY1968 but cleaner and slightly less flocculant. Makes great mild, brown, and ESBs.

WY1028 London Ale: Probably the best yeast out there for London style porters and big stouts. Dry, slightly minerally, little to no D, and temp tolerant.

WLP022 Essex Ale: Dry, slightly bready, and lightly fruity. Can make clean, hop forward bitters, pales, IPA, golden ales. Nice top cropper.

WY1098 British Ale: Can be an easy to use and forgiving yeast, although you need to keep the fermentation temp low or suffer from tart and tangy flavors. I do not care for the flavor of this yeast at all, but a lot of people like it.

This is a lot of knowledge and I appreciate this! Can I ask? I used WL005 British recently. As expected, my results were not stellar. I have an off flavor of cider? but so mild..my daughter said nail polilsh..but mild. The hops disappeared completely..I KNOW it's not my sanitation. Fermentation was 68F. I've brewed since 94 and British just kills me..I try once in awhile because I am hopeful I guess :( I understand that without tasting, you can't give accurate feedback, but any ideas?

This is a lot of knowledge and I appreciate this! Can I ask? I used WL005 British recently. As expected, my results were not stellar. I have an off flavor of cider? but so mild..my daughter said nail polilsh..but mild. The hops disappeared completely..I KNOW it's not my sanitation. Fermentation was 68F. I've brewed since 94 and British just kills me..I try once in awhile because I am hopeful I guess :( I understand that without tasting, you can't give accurate feedback, but any ideas?

I haven't dsont a huge amount with british yeast, but my favourite from the ones I have used is

WY1469: West Yorkshire Ale
fruity and balanced, with a nutty finish. perfect in an english Brown Ale.

I haven't used WY1318 but I've heard repeatedly that it's a fantastic strain.

I don't mind WLP023 Burton Ale/WY1275 Thames Valley. WY1098/WLP007 is good when you want something very dry/highly attenuated (good for English Barleywines and other English strong ales to keep em from being cloying).

But another nod to WY1469 West Yorkshire. My absolute favorite strain, I use it for just about everything.

The Yorkshire strain is amazing. One of the recent NHC gold ESBs used it which is no surprise. Tends to finish a little high which I like, especially for stouts. Krausens up like crazy so rig a blowoff if you use it.

If I had to pick one, it would be West Yorkshire Ale 1469. I like the fruity profile, with a bit of mineral and nutty finish. If I could have two, they would be 1469 and 1968 for my ESBs.

WY1728 / WLP028, hands down. Very clean yeast that complements any malty porter, stout, or barleywine. A little bit more attenuation than WY1098 and it's a beast when treated properly.

Looking forward to using WY1318 and WY1469 in future beers. From what I understand the two strains are employed heavily by domestic breweries and homebrewers alike.

Latest posts

Back