Berry Weiss Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craig90onu

Reaction score
I am looking for some help on making a Berry Weiss Clone from Leinenkugel. I haven't been brewing for very long and since I am a hop head I don't brew fruit beers at all.. But, my wife loves this beer and would love to have her share in my love of the home brewing :tank:. So if anyone has any suggestions or recipes that could help me out, that would be great!

I am looking for some help on making a Berry Weiss Clone from Leinenkugel. I haven't been brewing for very long and since I am a hop head I don't brew fruit beers at all.. But, my wife loves this beer and would love to have her share in my love of the home brewing :tank:. So if anyone has any suggestions or recipes that could help me out, that would be great!

I think that's the beer that I call "Fruity Pebbles" beer! Or, is that the Sunset Wheat? I get those two mixed up on the fruity flavors.

Anyway............

I'm pretty sure all of Leine's beers are lagers, to get that really "clean" crisp taste.

I'd start with a simple wheat beer, like a hefeweizen recipe, and use a very clean ale yeast at a lower temperature if you can't do a lager. I read somewhere that they use blueberry extract to get the berry flavor after fermentation, but I don't know that for sure.

Blueberries, elderberries and logan berries make up the berry mix. I have not found loganberries anywhere.

Thanks for the input.... So would it be Easier to just buy frozen bagged fruit or fresh fruit? Also, do you add the fruit to the boil, during fermination or add it to the secondary ferm..?

I tried the sunset wheat clone from AHS. It was OK not as good as the real thing. I think if you uped the amount of sunset wheat flavoring, which is .75oz blueberry extract, .25oz raspberry extract it would be closer to a berry weise/ sunset wheat. This is what I plan on trying, also instead of using their safe ale 05 I'm going to try wyeast Kolsch.

Back