Bernzomatic Kit: Does it need to be modified?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thegerm

Reaction score
http://www.lowes.com/pd_98894-717-2..._0__s?Ntt=bernzomatic&facetInfo=#BVRRWidgetID

These cheap O2 regulators aren't available by themselves at any of the online HBSes I've seen. I've got some batches arriving today and I've seen the light on the benefits of O2 vs aquarium pump aeration.

If I just pick up one of these kits at lowes, can I just pull the hose off the regulator? Does it already have a 1/4" ID barb on it? Or will I have to modify it in order for it to be the same as the regulator that williams sells?

http://www.williamsbrewing.com/OXYGEN-REGULATOR-P700.aspx

I already have one of the aquarium pump aeration kits, and I'd like to just attach that to the regulator on one of these bernzomatic kits if it's that simple.

It also seems like a bit of a waste to buy the whole torch kit, but hey, I don't already have a torch, maybe I'll need one one day? :D

Buying the Benzomatic Kit will get you the oxygen tank and the regulator, but you still need the diffusion stone and some sort of "wand" to connect the stone to the hose (unless you connect the hose directly to the stone and dangle it into your wort).

From what I understand some aquarium shops will have diffusion stones, but I"m not sure how prevalent they are (i.e. do most/all shops carry them).

Depending on how expensive this kit is, this may/or may not be a good option vs. buying the correct product at a home brew shop. Not sure if you are going for the most expedient route or the most cost-effective here...

That being said, I bet you could pull off that hose from the benzomatic regulator and find a 1/4" barb on it.

ixnay on the aquarium stones. Depending on what they're made out of, they can start to fall apart after a short while. You can get beer air stones from LHBS for $10-$20, or a combo stone+wand for another $15.

That regulator from williams is the most inexpensive i've seen. They usually go for $40+.

I have that bernzomatic kit for light stuff when acetylene would be overkill. The reg on there take a few turns to open up, then it surprises you.

I've got the aquarium aeration kit from austin homebrew supply already. What I'm hoping to do is just take the 2 micron stone-1/4" hose-hepa filter that came with the kit and just jam it onto the out port of the regulator on the bernzomatic kit. the purpose is total expediency, because all the online HBSes appear to be out of these regulators, and I don't want to spend 150 at the local welding shop for a real refillable tank and double guaged setup.

as far as seeing the light on O2, I've been reading the chris white & jamil zainasheff yeast book, reading experienced brewers here, reading the great article on yeast propagation on the maltose falcons site as well as listening to the brew strong aeration episode. They all seem to come down to, "at least aerate if you don't have O2, but using pure O2 is really much better."

I've also been reconsidering the flaws in some of my recent batches that I think may be partially from low O2. Some yeasts need 12ppm or more of O2 dissolved, and aeration by any means can only get you to 8ppm. I'm going to be doing my 3rd bock style batch next week and I want to make sure I get it as close to perfect as possible this time.

anyway, thanks for the responses, i'll just go pick it up and try it out.

$20 is a good deal for the disposable tank regulator. You can usually find them for a little less on eBay, but I'd rather purchase from a known source for a few bucks more.

The Lowes kit ($60) costs about the same as the complete Williams Brewing O2 aeration kit ($50) + oxygen bottle (+$10). I'd just go with the proper kit with the nice SS rod rather than have to rig something together. I'm all for DIY (especially with homebrew) but they have this one licked.

http://www.williamsbrewing.com/WILLIAMS-OXYGEN-AERATION-SYSTEM-P699.aspx

That said, I've seen some info that filling the headspace with O2 and then aerating works very well for consistency. This the route I was going to take. See here:

http://blog.flaminio.net/blogs/index.php/beer/oxygen/081408-wort-aeration

It's a couple years old but seems to know what he's talking about. Any comments on this method?

Back